Bone Broth Fat?

bangarain

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2015
Vermont
I made some bone broth for my dogs for the first time yesterday, and was wondering - can I give my chickens the separated fat on top? I used primarily beef marrow bones, but some chicken bones as well, if that makes any difference :) thanks!

My chickens are not obese and I feed my birds frequently leftover meat and fat and veg from making stock. I mix it in with fermented mash. I think it adds variety and in winter months they are not finding many insects.

Here is one example of what fat does to a chicken.
Sudden death diagnosed
I give my chickens one of those square wire framed holders that are used for wild bird square treat cakes and in it I put bird seed with coconut oil that is then put in the freezer so the whole thing holds together. I hang this in their enclosure and they go at it like crazy. They get this twice a month. 18 chickens and all are free range. Is this too much fat with the coconut oil? They do not seem overly fat to me and they get alot of exercise.

I give my chickens one of those square wire framed holders that are used for wild bird square treat cakes and in it I put bird seed with coconut oil that is then put in the freezer so the whole thing holds together. I hang this in their enclosure and they go at it like crazy. They get this twice a month. 18 chickens and all are free range. Is this too much fat with the coconut oil? They do not seem overly fat to me and they get alot of exercise.
No that doesn't sound like too much to me but I am not sure what the benefit of adding coconut oil is.

No that doesn't sound like too much to me but I am not sure what the benefit of adding coconut oil is.
I should have explained better, the bird seed is loose so it is encased in the coconut oil and then the whole set up, holder and all is put into a square tupperware and put in the freezer until solid. I keep reading about the benefits of coconut oil for chickens. Good for skin, feathers, crop health, perhaps an added antiviral etc. etc. I use it myself for all sorts of things.

I am a fan of coconut oil for myself but i haven't looked into the benefits for chickens.
Let me see if I can find any studies on it now.

Back
Top Bottom