1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have had illness in my coop and they have and are being treated. sulfa antibiotic right now. they have gone through tylan, and one other before this. also ivermectin for mites. i have one rooster im not sure about. the eye is swelled, no bubbles. it is below the eye and it feels like bone. it has been there for 3 days now. i did think injury. today i was handling him feeling the lump ect... and he moved his head as if he were dizzy. i sat him down and he started with the stretching of the neck and opening the mouth like chocking and still the wobble head like dizzy. this is a (i think) a barred polish rooster. it is black and white but not as defined as a barred rock soft looking with a full white head piece. but on the beak there is a horn? he is young, just getting spurs. all the others are better now.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    As always, it seem, pics would help.

Sometimes cysts or infections are encapsulated and become very hard. It sounds like you've had one of the nastier diseases go through your flock. It's also possible it's cancerous. If you were feeling the lump and it caused him to react with dizziness and gasping, it could be because of it pressuring nerves or causing extreme pain.

And of course some diseases cause tumors to grow. Photos would help, probably.

Hope they turn out ok. Best wishes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i cant upload pics. i have tried for months. i wish , it would help a lot of things for me. do you have any suggestions ? maybe how i could tell? draining,open? i would like to save him but not if he is suffering. he seems quite normal except for what i described

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well, no meds are helping so i guess i will go ahead with the drainage procedure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by