Boneless chicken breast recipes with little salt

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Chickerdoodle13, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm trying to eat healthier and I have been making a lot of chicken breast in the broiler. I'm not crazy about a lot of meat, but I do like porkchops and chicken when I make it in the oven using the broiler. I do sometimes eat ground beef and cold cuts, but that's about the extent of my meat tastes.

Anyway, I would like to cut a good part of the salt I would normally use out of my diet. Usually I would use spice mixes with salt to flavor the chicken, but I would tend to use a lot to make it flavorful. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for spices or mixes I could use that would cut down the amount of salt I use but still make flavorful chicken.

2. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Good for you for trying to eat healthier. One of the spice companies that I purchase from on a regular basis is Penzey's spices http://www.penzeys.com/
    They have a lot of salt free blends and you can purchase small size starter containers of all sorts of things. We eat many cuisines and find the spices from Penzey's helps us eat more at home and eat out less so we save money in the long run. We try to have a protein of some sort and two veggies for a side and try to eat gluten free when we can.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I make my own seasoning mix, I don't use a recipe so you'd just have to experiment until you find what works with you. I'm not scared of salt, so you'd adjust the salt to suit your desires or remove it altogether. In a jar I layer about equal parts salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic and smoked paprika. Shake well to mix, this is my "house seasoning". Mexican seasoning is the same except remove the paprika, add chili powder and half a part cumin. Italian is same except remove paprika, add 1 part basil, 1/2 part oregano, and some rosemary.

You could also try a homemade shake and bake type recipe, just omitting/reducing the salt. Or a homemade bbq sauce.

Something else is to cook the breasts, then use them in another recipe like enchiladas, chicken pot pie, things like that.

I've found the smoked paprika really adds a good flavor, especially to chicken dishes.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks so much for the ideas! A homemade BBQ sauces would be a great idea! I didn't even think of that.

I love pepper so I'm thinking about using more pepper and garlic, but I love the idea of making my own mixes.

Penzeys is wonderful! I visited their store in Philadelphia a few times and it is a dangerous place! If you don't leave with a headache, you didn't smell enough spices! Lol!

5. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Rachel, I'm like you & mix up my own general seasoning mix. Very similar to yours, but I omit the salt completely, and my pepper included black pepper, white pepper & a dash of cayenne.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's so much cheaper! Plus, I like being able to say what goes in it. I use Redmond salt, & coarse black pepper. No "anti-caking" agents or msg. I can change the ratios of what I use if I want. I'm up to making my basic seasoning in a quart jar now, then just putting it in the little shaker jar to use. We go through a lot of it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by