Bones dissappeared...

mountainbunny

Songster
May 26, 2016
Central Arkansas
The other day I gave my small flock a few left over baked chicken legs so they could pick off the last bit of meat left on them. They absolutely LOVED them. I've never seen them enjoy anything quite so much! I've well since gotten past the ick feeling of feeding chicken to my chickens, so that's not an issue for me.
The weird thing to me was that I went back out to the coop to collect the cleaned off bones, and the bones were gone. There is no way anything else go into their coop to snatch the bones. So I am wondering is it possible that my chickens ate the bones? The only other thing I can think is that the bones got covered in the deep litter.

Last edited:
The other day I gave my small flock a few left over baked chicken legs so they could pick off the last bit of meat left on them. They absolutely LOVED them. I've never seen them enjoy anything quite so much! I've well since gotten past the ick feeling of feeding chicken to my chickens, so that's not an issue for me.
The weird thing to me was that I went back out to the coop to collect the cleaned off bones, and the bones were gone. There is no way anything else go into their coop to snatch the bones. So I am wondering is it possible that my chickens ate the bones? The only other thing I can think is that the bones got covered in the deep litter.

This happened to us too, a week later some bones resurfaced from being covered with beddings in the run.

We even lost treat bowls in the run for couple of months
1f633.png
1f914.png

Probably buried somewhere. In my coop, there are these mysterious bones towards the back that look like chicken bones, and they keep disappearing and reappearing over time. My New Hampshire hen has an odd fondness for them, she pecks the ground AROUND them whenever she sees one, "accidentally" pecking the bone just enough to make it move around, and following it. Does anyone else's hens do this kind of thing, where they seem to pretend not to be doing something but it's clear they are? Like my barred rock at home sometimes is too coy to come right up to me, so she'll start eating the grass successively closer to me, side stepping the whole way. It's so funny!

My chickens were dragging the bones around the coop before they finished off the last little bit of meat from them. It was kind of creepy, but boy were they happy! I keep looking for the bones but they've hidden them well.
We are having chicken for dinner tonight so they will get more scraps tomorrow. They made the strangest happy sounds last time I gave them bones/scraps. I should video tape it next time.

Back
Top Bottom