Bonjour de Québec

R2Peep2

Hatching
Jun 27, 2016
Hi!
My family and I are raising some Ameraucana's for eggs and companionship. We got 6 1-day-old chicks almost a week ago. We are really looking forward to the experience. I've been reading a lot here over the past few months in preparation. I just want to say a hello and thanks to everyone in the community. So hello. And thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Here is a picture of our cardboard box brooder.
Shortly after taking this picture, I decided to raise the walls by permanently lifting the flaps. One of the peepers has been jumping on top of the water jar for the past day, and just moments ago I caught her jumping on top of the laptop. (We use the webcam for spying on the birds when we are not there)

It's good to put a wire top on the brooder. If they fly out and can't get back in they may get into trouble. Welcome to BYC. Please be very careful with heat lamps close to cardboard & litter -doesn't take much for a fire to break out and spread rapidly.

Hello! Thanks for the words. I'm upgrading the brooder coop with a roof this week. I am going to be buying some chicken wire for a little chaperoned run. The lightbulb is a 50w reptile bulb and there is that silver foil tape on all parts of the cardboard near the bulb. Temperature on the pine shavings directly under the bulb is about 85 degrees currently

Hello! I am in Quebec too, near Bécancour ... we are new to the chicken world since last spring like you I think ...? How was your summer with your chicks? Is the amaraucana started laying? Since winter is coming... how do you plan it for the chickens? Have some picture of the flock? In any case, nice hello from us!

Back
Top Bottom