Boodiness of Breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShadowsFIAL, Jan 17, 2014.

1. ShadowsFIAL

ShadowsFIAL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me how broody these breeds are. I want to eventually have my chickens raise chicks, but I am not sure if any of them are really known for being broody.

Phoenix
    Black Jersey Giant
    Araucana(Yup! I am getting a black rumpless girl <3)
    Buff Brahma

I know silkies are sooper broody and I was thinking about picking up a black silkie as well if anyone thinks she would get along fien with the four above. The BJG, AR, and BB are being picked up on sunday, so they will be new. The Phoenix is the current resident.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I do not have experience with the breeds you listed but I have raised silkies and cochins.

Silkies have special needs and tend to get picked. They also do not always roost. If you are considering silkies I would read up on them and make sure you get more than one so they can sleep together and have a friend. I previous had only one silkie in a mixed flock and would not do it again.

A cochin might be a better bet.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. ShadowsFIAL

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Are cochins really broody as well?

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Every bird is an individual of course, but I have experienced them to be very broody. My bantam is broody right now.

5. ShadowsFIAL

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    anyone else happen to have these breeds?

6. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    I don't have experience with those particular breeds, but they are all breeds that I have heard are considered "broody", excpet the Giant. It depends on age and individual bird. If I were a betting man, and I'm not, I'd put my money on the Phoenix to brood first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by