Boody Hen or not

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tony Al, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Tony Al

Tony Al Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    I have been confused by one of my hens. Sometimes she seems to be sitting - but then she seems to be out of the nest more than I think a broody hen would be. She seems to be in the nest more often than not. She even pecked at me once when I was checking to see if additional eggs were laid by other hens. But other times, she gets off the eggs and leaves the nest when I am checking for fresh eggs. I marked the 8 eggs I left there, and it seems that she must be turning them. I really can't tell if she is sitting or not.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is she staying on the nest overnight?

3. Tony Al

Oct 24, 2014
    I believe she is. It seems she is there each night that I check.

4. Tony Al

Oct 24, 2014
    Well it has been awhile now, but I am no longer confused. The hen I thought might be sitting eggs - isn't. But I have another that that definitely started a couple of days ago. I have a couple of ceramic eggs that I put in boxes where I wanted the hens to lay - that worked. I noticed one hen that had seemed to disappear into one of the boxes a couple of days ago. It was where I had the ceramic eggs. Thought she might have started sitting, so I went to get the fake eggs out. She is definitely sitting the eggs. She wouldn't budge, pecked at me when I tried to get the fake eggs, and then moved right back after I moved her off. I gave her a few more eggs to sit at the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by