1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boody with no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chefgian, Feb 23, 2012.

1. chefgian

chefgian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Stow, OH.
    I have a frizzle who has gone broody on me without having eggs under her. Not sure if this is a normal behavior. When I've tried to move her to check under her for the last week she has had no eggs but has become very aggressive and I would say is biting...as opposed to pecking at me. ie...it is not a quick warning peck, it's a full on, grab hold and don't let go for a few moments bite. Just want to know if this is normal. Thanks for your help!

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Yes when a hen goes broody, anything will do, my silkies will move pecans or even rocks and sit on them... So definitely the behavior mode does sound like a broody....You've got a built in incubator!!!! What to do!!!! Get some fertile eggs under and make babies!!!!!!!!!!!

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've had a broody I forced outside and she tried to sit on anything that looked round enough to be an egg :rolleyes:

She didn't have any eggs in the nesting box, yet she stayed in there for a week before giving up.

4. chefgian

chefgian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Stow, OH.
    I did start giving her some what I think are fertile eggs. She doesn't pay attention to them until I touch her. Then she gently nudges them under her. I am more than happy to let her hatch a clutch if she can. Thanks for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by