Boohoo, my other birds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seminolewind, Oct 23, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have 9 finshes, including a pair of Lady Goldians. They sat and sat in the nest. This morning one egg was missing, well the baby chick was still alive on the floor of the cage. I put him back. I am thrilled having my first finch, however, if they do it again, I will have to give the nest to another set of parents to adopt. The chick is naked, and 1 inch long.

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i never raised finches. i did raise Parrekeets.good luck with your baby

3. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    so tiny sorry I don't know anything about finches

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I raise them,,,not for very long but have had the same thing happen...my mom lays 3 eggs....and only one survives..either tossed out in egg form or later......the last one is now a teenager,she had fallen out a couple of times and I just put her back in.......

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I know I bred Gouldians for 2 years allways try naturaly hatching them but often had to give them to socities because they are such bad parents. check out the little florecent bumps on the side of the babies mouth they are realy cool. are you feeding egg food and not just seeds?

if you need any advice about them I can probably answer you.

Good luck

Henry

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yes, I'm feeding egg food. So far, they have sat the eggs great. I was wondering what those little flourescent bumps were. Had no idea. I heard the societies were good foster parents. Does that mean to eggs and chicks?

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Well you need to have the socities close to the same place in the breeding cycle as the gouldians. The little florecent bumps are to atract the parent to there begging. I would defanatly try to put the chick in 1 more time and then if there are any birds with eggs or babies about the same age put them back in there. The blue backed and yellow backed goulidans are the coolest but my best breeders were always wild type's. I had zebra finches, parrot finches, owl finches, parakeets, albino socities, waxbills, javas, doves, and gouldians who did you get yours from?

Henry

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I got mine from a flea market in Pasco county Florida. He has the most healthy birds and the only one at that place that keeps his shop air conditioned . The health of the birds I get is great. So far the chick has been in there for 2 days, and I can't see it because the parents don't leave the nest empty for even a second. I don't hear any peeping, this is day 2 for the chick. I don't see any feeding going on . If they dump a chick, I will put the societies in there. My Goldians are sweet, they always come close to my face when I talk to them.
    I have a pair of Goldians, a pair of societies, 2 orange cheek waxbills (sisters), and three of these little brown and black finches,one male and 2 females, I forget the name. I had two white zebras, but I gave them to a friend, too rambunctious, and the male sang loud all day, and I work nights. I think I might find a home for the three black and brown ones because I think I'd like to focus on the two pairs. Karen

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Okay, so far so good, the chick is still alive and still being sat on. The parents actually wait for their turn. I wonder when I should expect them to feed it, and should I moisten the egg food? Karen

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    moisten the egg food alittle sounds like they are doing good if you look again see if there is anything in the crop of the baby.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by