Book Collectors????

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by SmartyChick, Jan 4, 2010.

1. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Hey, are there any other book collectors out there?? I love antique books, like old classics. What type of books do you collect? Who is your favorite author?? Do you wish the "old book smell" could be bottled??

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I love just about any book, but when snooping in the Oldies Section it's always Dickens that will draw my eye.

I don't bother with the fancy antiques, not with two kids, multiple dogs, and me and B both actually wanting to read them (without fear of damaging) but I do love to snoop at them. I do have a handful that are nifty, though prolly just to me.

3. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    DD goes to recycling with me to get old books. She even managed to sell some of them. [​IMG]
    She likes mysteries and history books.

4. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    nothing better than walking through a section of books, opening up an oldie and sniffing. Just makes my day. Some days I just walk through my library touching the older bindings. Authors not a thought ... but most of my books are before 1950 (I consider them the new ones!) with many in the 1800s. Have several from that time period that are inscribed by family members.
    BTW ... both my daughters collect books also! A gift that keeps giving. Both gave me late 1800 books for christmas! [​IMG]

5. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    I collect old books!

6. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    The Rev. and I are huge book fans! We have quite an extensive collection....for some though it might be small... [​IMG]
    I love so many authors, so many different types of books... [​IMG]
    I have several I keep wrapped, but most are on display in our bookshelves, tables, boxes and wherever there's a space, or not [​IMG]

7. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    I also enjoy reading about book collecting. Two favorites: Used and Rare; Slightly Chipped. By Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone. Readable, entertaining, as well as informative. Deeper in readability and information, full of little anecdotes tending to collection: A Gentle Madness, by Nicholas A Basbanes. ~G

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have a small library collection of James A. Michener, Kipling, Steinbeck, Mary Stewart, Anton Myer, Margaret Mitchell, Ayn Rand, Edna Ferber, Robert Louis Stevenson and JFK.

9. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    He's not that old but I collect Stephen King. Not exactly a classic I know but I love is writing.
    I do read all types of books but that is the onlycollection.

10. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    I agree completely - I was just given a Kindle for my birthday, but really it isn't the same... no wonderful paper smell. I am a falconer also, so I have spent time at the Falconry Archives at the National Center for Birds of Prey in Boise - HEAVEN! Also love titles from original hollywood and broadway writers like George Kauffman and the Algonquin round table gang. I have an early edition Will James copy of Smoky the Cow Horse with hand tinted illustrations that belonged to a beloved great Uncle, and absolutely love old Dickens' and Winston Churchill collections.

If you're ever in NYC, go to Bartfield's. It's like a jewel box for book collectors...

aye carumba... am I a dork or what? Great thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by