Book idea for Christmas!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The Chicken Lady, Dec 18, 2008.

1. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    A friend of mine got me this children's book for Christmas (I am a teacher, and decorate my classroom with all sorts of chicken stuff). It's a cute story, and if you have small children, it would make a perfect gift. The author also wrote Because of Winn-Dixie and The Tale of Despereaux.

[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That cover illustration is adorable!!!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Bumpety, bump bump bump.

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Sold.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    The woman responsible for hencam.com just released a book about her little leghorn hen:

http://www.tillielaysanegg.com/contact.htm

Her website used to have a list of all her favorite chicken related children's books, but I don't see it there now. I think I may have printed it last year. I'll have to check my chicken files at home. I think chicken children's books would just melt my heart.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  6. The Chicken Lady

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:That book looks great! I love the Hencam thing!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    AHA, I dug a little more in the hencam.com website and found her list of chicken children's books. I hope she doesn't mind my copying and pasting it here:

Children's Books

Chickens are comical and some of the best childrens' book authors and illustrators have created books that are fun to have. Here are my favorites. Please contact me if you have a suggestion to add to this list!

How the Ladies Stopped the Wind
    by Bruce McMillan, illustrated by Gunella
    This is the second book by McMillan and Gunella about the ladies of Iceland and their chickens. The chickens are crucial to the plot as "It was the chickens' job to make fertilizer for the trees. They did their job very well."
    Obviously, the author knows chickens!

Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
    by Cathy MacLennan
    This is just the sort of book that you want to read again and again to the very young who are just beginning to enjoy sounds and language. "Splitter, splatter. Wet. Wet. Wetter." There are darling yellow chicks and hens with striped and polka-dotted combs. They're not anatomically correct - but they've got that silly chicken look.

Minerva Louiseby Janet Morgan Stoeke
    Minerva Louise reminds me of our hen Snowball -- she's inquisitive, cheerfully innocent and totally silly. Janet Morgan Stoeke has written 11 delightful picture books about this hen. Perfect for children, but also welcome in any household that loves chickens.

These are all of the Minerva Louise books:
    A Hat for Minerva LouiseMinerva Louise at the FairMinerva Louise at SchoolMinerva Louise and the Red TruckA Friend for Minerva LouiseRainy DayMinerva Louise The Mixed-Up HenMinerva Louise and the Colorful EggsHide-and-Seek

Daisy Comes Homeby Jan Brett
    Jan Brett is an author/illustrator of beautiful children's books. She also raises Silkies and is involved in a Bantam Club. Daisy Comes Home is about a chicken in China who gets lost and eventually finds her way back home.

The Problem With Chickens by Bruce McMillan
    illustrated by Gunnella
    This is a very funny and silly book about chickens in a village in Iceland. There are charming illustrations of large women in aprons having tea with chickens and exercising with chickens, and, you'll have to read the story to believe it, letting themselves on ropes down a cliff and collecting chicken eggs. Delightful.

Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?
    (Many illustrator-authors)
    Dial Books for Young Readers, 2006
    Fourteen talented children's book illustrators come up with answers to this age-old question. Very funny.

Also worth finding are:
    Hattie and the Fox by Mem Fox
    Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins

8. The Chicken Lady

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I just noticed that the author of that Tillie book mentioned BYC in one of her blog posts (April 9, 2008). I wonder if she is a member here. [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I also own this book: [​IMG]

It is a chapter book for middle schoolers.

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    The hencam.com lady is responsible for my choosing Buff Orps as the right breed for me. She has one named Buffy that I just couldn't take my eyes off (and their other characteristics matched our area and intentions).

Her blog is great, but she doesn't update it every day, only when she's got something entertaining or educational to share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by