Book or gift ideas for poultry crazy kid

gabbyscritters

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
fredonia, wi
I started searching the internet for good books for Gabby, our almost 9 year old daughter for Christmas. She is totally chicken crazy and wants to show her birds. She just joined 4-H and has been to watch at one poultry show. She is very smart for her age and would love books to learn how to take better care of her "show" birds. The standard of perfection book is top on her list. Any ideas for good basic books or any fun chicken Christmas gifts? I already found her a kids "chickens rule" t-shirt, she will love it! Thanks:)

Storey's Illustrated Guide To Poultry Breeds is nice. Also, the new edition of Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens is coming out soon!

Oh, great stuff. I checked the book reviews on Amazon and they all sound like great books. Gabby was just working on her santa list and she had on it chicken books and posters. These books will be great!

Just got my new Backyard Poultry mag.today (love it) seen these books as possible holiday gifts and searched them,
"Quite a Year for Plums Novel by Bailey White (Alfred A. Knopf 1998) This absolutely charming look at the idiosyncratic folks in a small Georgia town stars Roger, the peanut pathologist;his erstwhile girlfriend Della, the bird and a host of other intertwined characters who all have on opinions on what is happening in each others live. Della becomes enchanted with the intricate plumage of a heritage flock of Dominiques (pictured on the cover) and her painting of America's oldest breed eventually ends up in the prestigious Birds in Art show, not to mention the permanent collection of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. A lovely book that is impossible to put down."
I found it on Amazon from .43cents to collectible $4.75..
Also " Future Eden: a brief History of Next Time by Colin Thompson ( Simon & Schuster, 1999) The front cover says it all--a manic looking red hen, sailing through space on a flattened cardboard box. Turns out this little hen is Ethel, an almost immortal space alien, who has set things in motion on our planet and now realizes that she's made a few mistakes...humanity has almost died out as everything seems to be grinding to a halt, and Ethel finally realizes that she has at help Jay, her Chosen One, save the world, Full of classic British humor about stirring the gene pool, an Oracle that happens to be a goldfish, Jay's made-from-rib girlfriend Kay, and an evil rooster, this demented comedy is cluckin' wonderful ( to quote Ethel) states it is out of print as is its sequel Space: The Final Effrontery (2005) "
but I found it on Amazon 8 new and used starting at 46 cents. I found the sequel on Amazon but it 70+ bucks steep and you may want to look for that one at your local library.
Original article in quotations, was sent in by Nancy Brent, Reference Librarian, La Grange Public Library Illinois
Hope this gives you something to look into.

I am too a poultry crazy kid, I would suggest : Storey's Illustrated Guide To Poultry Breeds is full of beautiful birds from chickens-geese.
another is A Kids Guide To Raising And Showing if he/she show chickens. Hope you find the right good book
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom