Book Publishing?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Have any of you gotten a book published? I've been working on one for a few months now and I've begun my search for a publisher...and realized that there are MANY different ones to chose from & all varying price levels....

Recommendations?

Oh & it's a chicken-related book....

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Ooooo! I can't wait to read it! I'm working on a publisher for you. I'll get back to you on that one. [​IMG]

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Yeah, it's not an informational book, really....it's going to be comprised of all sorts of things chicken-related (oh & poultry/waterfowl in general). I'll be posting about it soon...but I just wanted to get a publisher squared up & see if there is any real interest in such a book before I spent any $ to get it published & not have it sell, LOL

4. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I hear you there! My son is good friends with a man who owns a publishing company. He is trying to get in contact with him right now. [​IMG]

5. Rare Feathers Farm

[​IMG] REALLY? That would be MARVELOUS!

Thanks!

6. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    I have an "Idiots guide to publishing anything" type book.
    It it right next to the speed reading book on the shelf....I didn't finish that one either.......[​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    www.lulu.com

you can buy an ISBN from them that will allow it to be added to the list that libraries, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc use to order books. Then ask your friends and family to request copies from the library, book stores, etc [​IMG]

Or you can list on lulu for free and let people buy it there [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:LOL [​IMG]

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:COOL! I think I had that one on my favorites list...it didn't look too bad (cost-wise)....

Thank you!!!

10. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My son finally talked to his friend and they said that they don't do anything like that. He said cost wise, it would probably be the most benefit to you to publish it yourself. He said it is hard to even get a book into a bookstore unless it is written by a popular author. There are publishers out there that publish specific books, like animal care and he suggested that you look for one of those publishers on the internet if you don't want to publish the book yourself.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Good luck with it and let us know when you decide to sell it. I would like to get a copy. [​IMG] By the way, maybe Nifty would let you sell it in the BYC store. Just a thought!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by