book questions on animals who can help?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, May 4, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    so I am looking for some books on cattle raising, pig raising and sheep raising.

anyone have any good suggestions? I looked at the hobby farm books but was unsatisfied with how small and limited they were, though they had great pictures

i know the basics about fencing and basic care on each of these animals but i want to go into some real detail on them, including deep breed details, foraging, feed requirements per breeds, hoof and medical care, and good detail on butchering, meat cuts, and any other odd details.

also i saw this dvd set being advertised in grit magazine that shows you how to butcher an animal from start to finish, and all the cuts of meat, and so on. it is called "The Gourmet Butcher" anyone heard of this? is it worth while?

I would love a good dvd or a good book with detailed pictures on butchering several animals and thoroughly going into detail on the different cuts

so does anyone have any suggestions?

I saw a bunch of books on amazon and at the local book stores but I am unsure which to get as I have limited room on my over whelmed book shelves.
    or at least can you tell me what to look for in these books so i know i'm getting good information?

2. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Have you tried going to the library and checking some out and seeing if they are worth owning. That's what I do so I don't buy it and then wish I hadn't when I got it.

3. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Quote:ETA: Sorry I didn't think until I posted - Do you even still have a library left standing? I hope so!!

4. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:ETA: Sorry I didn't think until I posted - Do you even still have a library left standing? I hope so!!

we do but our libraries around here have pretty limited selection, especially on farm raising and many of the books on farming are rather old and out of print so it would be hard to buy them even if i did like them

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
  6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I have found that some of the best books are like chicken's for dummies book, Have you checked if your library has an inter loan library like if a bigger library in your state has a book they ship it to your library and you can check it out when you are done they mail it back,

7. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Quote:These are excellent!

8. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:i don't know. most of the libraries around here are small. if the Huntsville library isn't too badly hit i can see if they have anything. that library is three stories!

9. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:These are excellent!

i have heard that. i do like storey's country wisdom books

10. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    You appear to be looking for some very specific information?

Try hooking up with your local large animal vet, or attend the local
    sale market a few times, studying the animals. See what local ranchers,
    breeders seem to have going on. Talk to them, always a good ideal.

Try online sites that deal in a very limited market, such as Pig Site.com
    or vedamsbooks.com for your cattle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by