book recommendations

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ishouldvebeenafarmer, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ishouldvebeenafarmer

ishouldvebeenafarmer New Egg

Dec 24, 2011
    Any book recommendations? Either quail specific or poultry in general. I am doing some research to see if I really want to get into this hobby.

I don't really have any poultry experience. I raised ducklings for about 12 weeks when I was in college, but they were already promised to someone.

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    First, [​IMG] You have found a great group of people who love 'da quail.

For your poultry in general..."How to Raise Chickens" by Christine Heinrichs. Easy to read and great for beginners. Start searching this web site and google Coturnix. That is the "starter quail if you will. Once you've mastered those crazy guys...fresh water, good feed, clean draft free home...then you can start looking into other species of quail, in my humble opinion.

Good luck!

3. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Bumping up.

I just started a new job and they are looking for a source for quail eggs. They've been buying them intermittently at the grocery store, but I would just love to raise some birds and sell them the eggs. Are they pretty much like dwarfed chickens? Do they lay in a similar pattern? If they want 10 eggs/week (and I want a handful for myself) how many quail should I get? I see that the set up is different, they are usually in cages and not coops and runs. Why is that? I think I read somewhere that they are 'paired' birds. But I could keep a flock of gals together, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by