Book suggestions

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
Can anyone recommend a good book on goat care? I need to know all the basics from what to feed and how much, to mineral supplements, to kidding, etc. I have found lots of great sites online, but so many of them speak in generalities such as: make sure your goat has access to minerals, and, some goats need copper more often than others. I need details people! What kind of minerals, how do I give copper, things like that. If someone here wants to give a rundown on all the basics of goat care, I would love that too. What I really need is a BackYardGoats, lol.

Try Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats (ISBN 1-58017-259-8). Great information and I think they have one for meat goats too. I have a pet Boer but went ahead and bought the Dairy book b/c I found it on ebay for cheap and I figured one goat's basically like the others. Good info on all aspects of goat care including feeding and health care. Tractor Supply usually carries Storey's guides. Most of the "backyard" books I've looked at for any type of animal seem too simplistic (get a cute creature and feed it everyday lol)

LOL, people are really going to wonder about me when they see my bookshelves. I now have Storey's Guide to Chickens, another chicken book, a great book called The Family Cow, and I just ordered Storey's Guide to Dairy Goats. Think my next addition might be meat goats and then sheep?

Back
Top Bottom