BOOK - The Encyclopedia of Country Living

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Parson's Wife, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] I would like your input on this book by Carla Emery.
    Also, anyone have a used one for sale? It's over 850 pages.
    Has a little bit of everything in it I understand..but would like to know opinions before purchasing.

2. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have it, I ordered it from Amazon.
    Covers just about everything you can imagine, a must have if you want to live on a little farm and be self sufficient.
    Good book

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    My dh got me this for Christmas. If nothing else, it has lots of reference to other material. A warning though, those 850 pages are of extremely small print. I told my dh that his nose isn't long enough for him to be able to read the book; he's at the stage where the glasses come to the end of the nose for reading. I'm just starting, up it seems a fairly comprehensive overview.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Yeah, it's a great book. She also happened to spend most her life in Washington and Idaho, so anyone in the PNW will find it perfectly relevant.

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
  6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I love it. It tells about the rearing of animals how to get them ready to eat and even some recipes. It covers everything even making sausage and curing ham how to. It deal with chickens and all other farm animals. I think some of the chicken things maybe a little out of date but still good. I wish it was in hard back instead of in soft cover. I have read it until the pages have turned yellow. Jean

7. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Thank you [​IMG]
    Greyfields...am looking into those books you recommended.
    They look great.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If you can get the English ones from amazon.co.uk I think they are better (although shipping is a few extra dollars). They sometimes 'translate' them for the US audience, which as far as I can tell dumbs them down and they lose meaning.

9. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Greyfields....didn't I see where you had taken a vacation to the U.K. recently?
    Did you by chance...go into a bookstore there? [​IMG]

As a note on animal books...I've been an admirer of James Herriot for...well, I guess junior high....I have several of his books...one of my favorite is short stories collection... of his vet experiences.

Granted those books are not 'teaching' books...but truly a great 'read'.

Isn't there someone on here who is giving discounts for Storey's publishing books? Trying to remember....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by