Books or Videos

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, Dec 15, 2010.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I am wondering if any one out there has any good books to loan and read or videos?

I was looking to see any one out there purchased the Polyface Farm video? I would be will to pay for shipping over night to and from to view?

I was also wondering what good books people have to read on raising pigs and beef on pasture? There are just so many books out there to purchase them all seems silly. I have the best library right here I am thinking. I am looking for portable fencing ideas and paddock layouts for pigs and beef.

Again I would be more than willing to pay for all Express Shipping to have some reading and viewing for a few weeks.

And on a side note, I have been talking to a few local breweries to get their mash from them. Does anyone have any recommendations on how much of this would be to much to feed to your pigs, cows, chickens, goats and llamas? I know I would need to give proper feed as well. I would also use for composting on farm as well.

Thanks

2. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Visit your local public library, go to the reference desk, and ask about "interlibrary loan". You can usually get materials your library doesn't own in that way. That's how I was able to view the Polyface video (which is excellent, BTW), and read most of Salatin's books when I first discovered him after reading The Omnivore's Dilemma.

But, as head of public services at our library, I have a lot of say about what we stock on our shelves. We now own everything Salatin ever wrote.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Can you call my library and get them to do the same. LOL

4. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Same here.. I have not had luck finding items through my library.

I will give it another whirl and see what pops.

As for the video did they go over a lot on fencning and raising pigs and beeves? That is what my primary goal it to see the video.

Added:
    I have also been reading and hearing cow days per acre. Can that be explained? I am hearing something to the affect of 80 - 100 cow days per acre. Does that mean if you are doing rotational grazing/pasturing that if I had 80 cows I put them in 1/4 - 1/2 acre 1 day. Next day move and so on. And say I have 18 acres I could keep moving them and in theory be back on spot 1 about 38 days later with my 80 - 100 cows? Or would I need less cows on 18 acres?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. Buster52

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:The video is very cursory, just gives a brief overview of each area, so wouldn't go into the kind to detail you are looking for. Been a while since I saw it, though. It does touch on fencing, but also spends a lot of time with the over wintering in the barn and the "Pigerator", which is one of his big deals.

I think Salatin actually gets more than 100 cow days out of his acreage, because of MIG. He touches on it in the book I'm reading now, but as I recall he gets a LOT more out of his acreage. I'll check that when I pick it up next.

6. Buster52

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:Can you call my library and get them to do the same. LOL

Sure. :)

7. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So I did a search on Eastern Shores Library System which our library is part of and all they have is Food Inc., You Can Farm and Everything I Want to Do is Illegal. I have all of them. Nothing else. I am bummed

8. san415

san415 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Anthony I have the book raising chickens for dummies, by Kimberly Willis and Rob Ludlow ( the owner of this web site). You are welcome to the book, to keep. I was going to donate it to my Library.
    I work at UPS so if you can figure it out could you go online to ups.com and set up a free online acct and then pay for a label for 1 lb from me ( or you can use your address for both from and to). Then you can email me the scanned label, or you can fax it to my work fax number. Or you can print it out and mail it to me. I leave for a vacation right after Christmas so if you need to use the mail service to either mail the label or to mail the cost of shipping wait till I get back, (end of january)
    Just reply or pm me and I will send you my info.

9. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    San415,

I thank you for the offer. I have been raising chickens for the last 2 years. I am ready to expand into some beef cattle 4 or 5 to start and get my feet wet as well as 4 or 5 pigs. Just not finding what I am looking for and me experience with other animals I started I have books and don't use them so I did the same. Gave to my library and looking for other books with out putting out the money. Shipping I alright with. I work for FedEx so shipping is not the issue.

Thanks again for the offer and hope you enjoy your vacation.

10. Buster52

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Looked it up in Salatin's Ecstasy...

A cow-day is how much grass a cow can eat in a day. Your average farm gets about 80 cow days per acre per year. Because of the lush growth promoted by MIG, and because his pastures have been developed with it for several decades, and because grazing is very carefully managed, Poliface gets 400 cow-days per acre per year.

That means he needs less than one acre per cow, whereas your average conventional system needs more than 3 to 4 acres.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by