1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Books!!!! Wow!!!! And I mean WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by luvmychicknkids, Aug 26, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, will try to make it short. [​IMG] There is this darling little local bookstore my kids and I love. They have everything from very old vintage books to pre-selling new releases. They decided they were having to close down which has left the boys and I very sad. [​IMG] Today was their last day and we were in there right before close. They didn't have a LOT of great stuff left but some. We ended up with two boxes full. I added the prices up from all of them when we got home and we got $530 of books for $5. [​IMG]

Anyway, I want to show off the coolest thing I got from them. Didn't get this today, but during their final clearance, anyway.

It is called The Art of Incubation and Brooding, published in 1894.

[​IMG]

According to this page, the original price was "price one dollar". [​IMG] How awesome is that!!!

[​IMG]

The spine is a bit loose but none of the pages are falling out and it is in EXCELLENT condition otherwise.

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Awesome!

Check ebay or google it, I wonder how much that one is worth!

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    [​IMG] Congratz! Make good use of it [​IMG][​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    now that IS cool!!..awesome find!!..i love books!..and the older the better!..congratulations..[​IMG]..Wendy

5. spookykim

spookykim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio
    wow what a great find!!! I would love to read that and see what it says [​IMG]

6. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    That's incredible!!!! Great find.

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks guys!! I was pretty excited about it. My 11 y/o found it and KNEW I would have to have it. Yeah, I planned to see if I could find a value for it. We are absolute book freaks in this house. Since they first announced they were closing we have gone in a few times a week. We really need a library in our house. We have enough to fill one and are always buying more.

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Being a librarian and someone who loves books... WOWWWW !!

I understand the title to this thread. That is a most awesome find and will look GREAT displayed on a bookshelf!

9. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Wonderful! I too love books and it looks like you found some wonderful old ones. I have a used bookstore that I love to visit and pick up paperbacks at a good price, but nothing so spectacular.

But I would like to share an online resource for book a holics like me. I found two sources, paperspine.com - think netflicks for books, and paperbackswap.com - this is more like a swap with a friend, the only cost - post 10 books online and get credit to be able to order 2 more books. For each book you send out, cost about 2.25 per mailing, you get another book credit that you can use to request another book.

Both sources have all types of books availble, I have found everything including my murder/crime/mysteries, scifi/fantesy, children's books, as well as teacher type books. I even saw books about, wait for it, CHICKENS! LOL

But, of course, support your local book and used book stores - I certainly do. Humm, payday is Friday, deposit check Saturday and ..... Get More Books! Yeah, love having my bookstore right next to my credit union. Hummm, Longs is in that shopping center, better get the coupons ready too....

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, fishermom, I think it will look great on a shelf with some of my chicken stuff.

Ohhhhh....thanks Linda. I will have to check those out!!!! [​IMG] One can never have enough books!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by