BOOMERANG CHICKENS please help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jerseycoop, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi! My girls have been in their run which is built onto the coop for 2 1/2 weeks now. Last night was the first night they moved into their coop. Well at first it didn't go so well. They looked in and ran back down the ramp several times [​IMG] Then i pick one up placed her inside and she immediately flew out...more like a boomerang..sheesh chickens. [​IMG] After my husband was done laughing his head off we decided to place one in and quickly shut the coop run door and repeat until all seven were in. Ok I know this is entertaining to my family but really when will they figure this out? I'm about to do lock down in a few and hubby's away grrr any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    At night they should go into the coop if it looks "safe to them." If not, once it starts to get dark, they will mellow out and you can pretty much do whatever you want with them and you can place them in and they should stay.

3. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    You could try locking them in the coop for a week so as they get used to sleeping in it. I've seen that suggested alot on here.

4. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Is there light in the coop? If it is too dark that may scare them. We have a very faint night light in there for them.

5. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    i locked them in for a week and have had no problems. they go in at dusk just like they are supposed to.

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I'll add my voice to the chorus that they should be "coop only" chicks for at least a week. Mine were in the coop only for about a month, because the run wasn't finished, and I was worried I'd have the opposite problem. But their curiousity eventually got the better of them and they love their run now.

And they go into their coop like clockwork, even though it is dark in there. I had thought I might need a light to get them in at dusk, but every time I go to check, they're on their roosts, ready for me to close up.

Good chickens!

7. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the help! There is a house light that gives good light to the coop. I'm worried about locking them all day because it's so hot out. I just got them in with my daughter's help and it went a little bit better..my light brahmas and EE did pretty well but the 3 RIR's act like I'm putting them in a death chamber. They freak out! I feel bad the RIR's act so frightened. They pace back and fourth in the coop and fly at the hardware cloth. After 10 minutes they calm down following the other girl's lead. I guess they need more time [​IMG]

8. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Yes good chickens! Mine situation was the opposite the run was completed and the coop finished last. They love, love, love their run just having a problem with the RIR's now they're so freaked out

9. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I did the same as others suggested and kept them locked up in the coop for maybe a little less than a week and I did have to put them in the coop the first few nights they were in the run but after that they go in themselves overnight at dusk.

10. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Mine go in like clock work......the first few, then the last 2 ladies just have to go up last! I figured it was pecking order. The early ones, are higher up in the pecking order, and get first dibs on the roosts. The last 2 are in and out, and in and out, and in and out, as if they sure wish the others would get their spot figured out so we can get our butts to bed too!! LOL Funny how the last 2 do this every night !!!!! Like clock work !!!

I have to sneak up, and try to get the pop door shut before they hear me, or they run out to see what they might be missing!!! Nothing except a tired mother of 7 chickens wishing the last 2 would get tired of running iin and out, for petes sake !!! LOL

Lock them up for a few days at least, and see what happens! I agree they will get it figured out! Good luck !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by