Booted chicks. How long?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emvickrey, Dec 13, 2009.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have 3 chicks all hatched with curled toes. One of them also had a club foot. I straightened them out and taped them with the tape from bandages. The one with a club food I made a more solid boot with some post card paper then taped it. They have had these on for2 to 3 days and they are 3 to 5 days old. One of them gets around good with the boots and the other two still have a little problems. The one with a club foot walks good but doesn't walk often. I'm also giving them Poly Vi Sol twice a day. Two of them are eating and drinking good the other isn't so well. So I give it a mash about once a day and water often. It will drink from the water bowl but mostly when I put it in front of it. I really don't expect this one to make it. When I give it liquids it has bubbles come out of its mouth when it swallows and acts like it has something stuck for a while afterwards. I suspect a hole or leak between lung and crop. I have to give all my chicks a chance and I do what I can for them. I even give the club foot one therapy to help it get used to walking and standing right.

What I need to know is there anything else I can do and hoe long do I leave on the tape. I believe they got this way because I ran out of oyster shell and the hen started laying soft shell eggs. Then she stopped a little while laying at all then these started being laid. Before I got the oyster shell. I know it's not genetic because her first batch came out fine, and her and her roo are fine. They came from fantastic stock. The problem lies in a lack of calcium.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I think you leave the boots for the ones with curled toes on for 3 or 4 days and then recheck the toes. I am not sure about the club foot one.
    I am sorry that you are going through this, and I am thinking of your little one with the drinking issue, I hope he pulls through. I think the Poly Vi Sol will help with any deficiency issues. Perhaps some mashed egg yolk for extra protein. Good luck.

3. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:I'm guessing the yolks from boiled eggs? Probably stupid question but that is what I would do, just wanting verification.

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Yes, from hard boiled eggs. They love it and it is a good protein boost.

5. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I removed their boots earlier and one had perfect feet. The other two I had to reboot one foot on each. The club foot on the one. The toes just curled up after about 10 minutes. That one is the only one that is actually growing. The other 2 where still skinny. One of those died about an hour ago. The one that it's toes where straight. I'm afraid the other skinny one is going to follow soon. I have tried to keep them hydrated and mix crushed up starter in water so they get some food. It's not enough. I am boiling eggs now. I'm gonna try to get the other two to eat. The one that is growing and it's crop appears to have something in it sleeps alot. The skinny one will stand and sleep in spurts. I'll probably loose them all but I have to try. I don't loose many and I know it was meant to be when I do because I do everything I can to keep them going. The other skinny one that is still alive I helped out of the shell. It had pipped in 3 different places and after 2 days I decided it was time to step in. It was shrink wrapped and worn out. The one with the club foot that is growing came out just fine. The one that died took about 16 hours to hatch. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I had also ran out of oyster shell and the hen had laid a few soft shells then stopped laying and started back up before I got the oyster shells. It seemed that the farm stores just didn't want me to have any.

I went to get it and they where out, said come back tomorrow. Then they said they forgot to order it. Tried 3 different farm stores, all out. I'll keep you posted.

6. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I gave the remaining 2 the crushed yolk and they woulnd't touch it. I tried hand feeding and still wouldn't touch it so I watered it down enough to get it in an eye dropper and fed them drop by drop until they had full crops. Now this morning the one with the club foot is dying. The one I expected to go is still up and chirping away. I fed them again this morning. Well, it just died. There is 1 left now.

7. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    The one is still alive. I feed it still by hand. I won't touch water or feed on its own. It stands to sleep. I gave it a drop of poly vi sol with its breakfast, or lunch rather. The brooder is an aquarium 20 gal. I have it in the living room in front of a big mirror. There is a heat light and a thermometer/hydrometer inside. It stands between the thermometer and mirror. Maybe it thinks it is near another chick. I should have some more hatch in a few days to give it company. I'm hoping it will learn from the new ones to eat on its own and act like a chick is suppose to act.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by