Booted our six 4 week olds out into their heated pen in Stanwood WA today!

TheBlueMax

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 14, 2012
We picked up 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes and 2 Sexlinks...gold & black when they were 3 days old. We had the brooder in our living room for the first 4 weeks and today we introduced them to their new Chicken Palace....a 7'X14' predator proof chain link dog run with a predator proof chicken coop inside it that is heated & two sources of water/food. I am putting a baby monitor out there to ensure there's no chickie sceaming at night and I put 2" of pine chips down inside their heated enclosure. I will block them in their heated structure for a few days then let them run the enclosure...pics attached.

I had chix as a kid but these are our first babies...thoughts, questions, comments or concerns are welcome.

'CHICK CHICK CHICK ......CHICKENS!!!!" as I say everytime I approach them. :)

Looks great! Your daughter looks thrilled :) If your yard is completely fenced your chickens would love to explore it once they know the coop is home. It's been chilly weather in WA for chicks - hope June doesn't stay this way!

Thanks GardenGal! Both my daughter and 7 yr old son love their chicken babies & we hand raised them inside for the first 4 weeks. All anyone has to do is put their hand in the cage and they hop on looking for a ride & some love.

We fenced 1.5 acres of our property off and by the time they are fully feathered & a bit more robust, we will let them roam the property which was the goal. We've had to aclimate our 4.5 yr old Airedale to them and are taking things one step at at time hoping he is going to be their Rooster as he keeps a watchful eye out for hawks & eagles. Nother else has yet been inside our fence & I've set a few live humane traps to make sure I am not being naive. :)

Cheers to warmer sunny weather and raising chickies!!

Wow looks like you have a nice set up for your new babies. You might want to add some small chicken wire to the inside bottom couple feet of your kennel. It will prevent them from sticking their head through the chain link panels.

Back
Top Bottom