Booty Peckers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jason1004, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Jason1004

Jason1004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    West Milton,NY
    My red sex links lately have been chasing around all my other breeds and pulling out and eating the fluff feathers on their rears. They do not do it to eachother only every other chicken. They sneak up from behind rip out a couple and run. The reds fight over whos gonna eat them, but they do eventual get eaten. Im a little lost in what i should do to change this behavior. All day long a different chicken is jumpimg in the air after getting pecked in the booty. Any suggestions?:he

2. Jason1004

Mar 31, 2016
    West Milton,NY
    [​IMG]

3. Jason1004

Mar 31, 2016
    West Milton,NY
    I have 4 red sex links
    7 buff orpingtons
    6 silver laced wyandottes
    7 Easter Eggers
    1 Barred Rock
    And 1 Black Austrlorp.
    So you'd think there out numbered?

4. Texicano

Texicano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    @Jason1004 I feel your frustration Jason. My pullets were leaving all my stags without any tail feathers. I separated them for now. In the past what's worked with booty peckers is keeping them busy pecking at something else; a big pile freshly cut grass with crushed oyster shell mixed in has worked for me but you have to be consistent enough to where they forget the tail feathers.

5. jcooper3

jcooper3 Out Of The Brooder

They might do it because they enjoy the taste of freshly plucked down. On the other hand, they might do it to increase the protein in their diet. I suggest adding a source of protein In a snack that you give them every day, or you could change their crumble or dry food to one that has a higher protein percentage.

6. Jason1004

Mar 31, 2016
    West Milton,NY
    Thank you guys I will try both ideas.

7. Jason1004

Mar 31, 2016
    West Milton,NY
    Totally think its the protein factor. Gave just those four a can of salmon, and they left the rest alone for a while. Think I need to add a supplement to their diet. Something higher in protein.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

A known fact is Red birds sometimes do not do well with other coloured birds....I learnt the hard way and never bought red birds again.....White birds can also act the same way with birds of another colour...

Hope this helped.?

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Also might need to bring up the protein level?? I got rid of my reds....To much drama in my coop....

10. AmandaMBG

AmandaMBG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    Hmm my Anconas were doing this. There was one in particular that was the worst. She was put in time out for 2 weeks by herself then reintroduced and they all stopped. Sometimes it's just a bad habit that starts from eating feathers off the ground and escalates to plucking. I too think it is protein related to start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by