Border Collie to Good Home - NE Louisiana

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by scrambledmess, Apr 9, 2009.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    It has taken me a while to get the courage to post this. I really hate it when people who are supposed to be committed to an animal decide to get rid of it.

However, we have a Border Collie we just can not keep in our yard. She is beautiful, intelligent and has a strong herding drive. We got her as a puppy because we thought we were moving onto a 20 acre farm on a very isolated road. That sale fell through and we moved to a half acre house in town instead that had the majority of the yard fenced.

Apparently a 3.5" fence isn't enough to keep in a BC, nor electric fence, chicken wire, underground fencing, rocks, etc. Thus, we have dealt with her escaping issues for almost 3 years and just can not figure out anything else to do besides putting her in a small kennel which would send any BC over the edge into insanity. We have had police at our home now to inform us that if she causes any more problems (she chases cars/motorcycles) they will be taking her away. There is no animal shelter here so she would be taken to a kill shelter if this happens.

She has been around cats and pays no attention to them unless they get near her food. She is wonderful with my twin toddlers and has shown NO sign of food aggression with any person including the babies. She is kenneled at night and put out (supposedly in the back yard) during the day with our GSD. I believe if she was introduced gradually to free ranged birds she would be fine. She is very intelligent and should be able to understand what you wanted her to do or not do if taught before she makes mistakes.

I am in NE/NC Louisiana and would drive some to deliver her. Her vaccinations will be up to date next week. She is on heartworm prevention and is spayed. She is 3 years old. I am not sure whether or not she is housebroke as she is only given free range in the house to clean up after toddlers.

Here is a picture: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj54/AureilleAshlen/2009_01110103090005.jpg

She
    is not a full-blooded BC. When we got her, I was told she was Half Border Collie and Half English Shepherd. If someone wanted to take on the training of a herder or even to do agility, this would be the dog for you. I can assure you, she can clear a 6" privacy fence [​IMG]

2. SLM

SLM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    I am so sorry you have to give up your dog.

I belong to a forum (bichons), but they have other dogs.

We also have another member who belongs to another pet site.

Would it be possible for me to copy your post to put in the bichon forum and let Sandi post in her other forum.

3. scrambledmess

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I would appreciate it. Thank you! Just so others know she needs to go to a farm or someone who knows how to focus her energy. There is no threat to her from our family. It isn't like we are going to put her down, dump her or send her to a neighboring shelter. I just fear that she will cause additional problems on the road and we will have her taken away which will lead to no options for her. If that makes sense? She really is a sweet heart. Some how I have this feeling she knows what I am doing, because she is still in the back yard and staring at the window looking at me [​IMG]

4. SLM

SLM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    Consider it done.

Hopefully she will find a good home where she can roam and play.

I know how hard it is, and you are a good person for putting her needs first.

5. SLM

SLM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    I just posted it and will let you know of any replies.

If you have an email address I can give that would be great.

6. scrambledmess

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    [email protected] Thanks again!

I wanted to add, we are getting ready to go on vacation to Florida (April 18th). So we could transport in that direction. This summer (July-ish) we are going to Ohio, so we could transport in that direction as well.

7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I wish I could afford the plane fare.... really I would love her.

I have a Border Collie, and he is lonely. lol.... She would love it here with him. he comes everywhere with me, and they would have great fun.

She is stunning, and he is a beautiful dog.

I am searching here in the UK to find him a partner. he is pure bred and from working stock, wonderful dogs. but I am most concerned about him being lonely.

I wish you luck and hope you can find her a loving home. I know they can be a challenge.

8. scrambledmess

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    It sounds like you will make some lucky BC a very good home there. If only you were a bit closer [​IMG]

9. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Just a thought.

Do you live near a farming community? If so, make a flier listing all her good qualities and post it at a livestock auction place. You might catch the attention of a family that needs a livestock herding dog & kid friendly.

Good luck finding her a home, she is a beautiful dog. I love the intelligent face that BC's have.

10. scrambledmess

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    There is supposed to be a Monday auction house around here some place. I will check into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by