Bored babies??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LovinMyPeeps, Mar 25, 2009.

1. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I've noticed lots of posts about using red lights in brooders, which I've done in mine. They don't really pick at each other, but is there a way to keep them from getting bored? I gave them a perch/roost which they use, but is there anything that could essentially be used as a "chick toy"??

2. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I'm having the same problem.. How does the red light help though?

3. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Was told it keeps them from being as agitated and also helps them from acknowledging blood. It allows them to rest better I guess. I just want to make sure they have something to pick at other than each other [​IMG]

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Leaves, shredded paper, treats. I put a pinecone in my brooder yesterday and they're still playing with it.

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hmmmm, inquiring minds want to know...

I never thought of putting any kind of chick toys in there for the babies. Is there anything that they would like to have to play with? Mine don't have a perch of any kind since they're in a rubber tote brooder. Should I put a box or something that they can hop up on?

Good thread, thanks! [​IMG]

6. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    INteresting.. I have noticed mine pick at one poor chick and she starts bleeding and they won't stop! I'm off for a red light... Maybe petsmart for a couple bird toys... I'm sure they have something fun!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I think a pine cone is a fantastic idea!!! [​IMG] I'm also going to look around the yard for other natural things that are safe and they might enjoy.

8. chookook

chookook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    Ok everyone...this is hilarious to me. Watching three week old chicks fighting over my son's green army men..[​IMG]

9. dotaken1

dotaken1 New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    My chicks never play with anything! They're slackers!!!!!!

They run and jump around like normal, but they don't like anything.

I've tried pine cones, grapes, lettuce, yogurt, and milk. Not the slightest bit interested!!! They would rather peck the side of the brooder than mess with any of that.

The only things they like are their chick food and oatmeal.

10. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I posted with the same question last night and got the same responses. I put dried leaves in this morning and they watched one chick go after it with great curiousity and then joined in after they saw it was "safe". [​IMG] I also put a small box with dirt and grass for the to play and dig. They seem to like that as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by