Bored chicken plucking feathers off another one!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoManyHats, Dec 14, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I'm assuming it's because she's bored. They free range normally, but have refused to come out of their coop for days because of the snow. It is a very large coop, and there are only 6 of them, so crowding is not the issue. So a couple days ago, I noticed in the morning, one was following another around picking at her fluffy butt feathers. By the end of the day, that one was totally bald on her butt! So the next day, I stuck the trouble-maker and a friend under the deck so they could be out of the snow, but not in the coop. This morning, the one was back to feather plucking, so I put her and a friend out under the deck again. But we keep getting more snow! Does anyone have ideas other than separating them like this every day?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pinless Peepers can help control and sometimes cure this bad habit.

3. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    I wouldn't use those except as an absolutely last resort. I really just need them to get through this snowy time. If after they are back to their routine this hen continues feather plucking, she will be headed to freezer camp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by