Bored Chickens? question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolinasculpture, Jun 16, 2010.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I have read quite a bit about hanging a head of cabbage to ward off boredom. Now I am pretty new to this chicken business, but I am wondering (seriously):
    1 - What are the signs of a bored chicken?
    2 - Are there any other tried and true "chicken simulators"?
    3 - What do chickens do for fun?

I am going to be out of town for a week and was wondering if there were other tricks I could leave with the "chicken sitters". Currently, to my untrained eye, they don't look bored...but I don't want to come home to find that in their boredom they have picked up playing poker (just kiddin) or some other nasty habit (plucking). I have 1 EE, 1 BR, 1 Black Australorp, 2 RIR and 2 Leghorns. They are about 3 months old. Currently they are in a 16'x7'covered run with 7'x4'coop until the permanent coop/run is set finished...hopefully SOON!

Thanks!

2. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    Bullying (for no reason) is a sign of boredom, you can hang a bundle of alfalfa hardly out of reach and hide yummy treats if your worried, I'm not with my birds 24/7 so I wouldn't be.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:They make us conscientious, caring, loving chickenslaves to think that they are bored.

4. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:They make us conscientious, caring, loving chickenslaves to think that they are bored.

Don't forget - hens that go out in the woods and randomly start singing the egg song just to make you beat the bushes looking for hidden nests. [​IMG]

6. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Thank you all! The link was great, too! I think they will be just fine. I'll put in a fresh deep layer of grass, and a rotting log or two. Along with the hanging cabbage, they won't even know I'm gone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by