Bored Chickens? question...

carolinasculpture

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hi! I have read quite a bit about hanging a head of cabbage to ward off boredom. Now I am pretty new to this chicken business, but I am wondering (seriously):
1 - What are the signs of a bored chicken?
2 - Are there any other tried and true "chicken simulators"?
3 - What do chickens do for fun?

I am going to be out of town for a week and was wondering if there were other tricks I could leave with the "chicken sitters". Currently, to my untrained eye, they don't look bored...but I don't want to come home to find that in their boredom they have picked up playing poker (just kiddin) or some other nasty habit (plucking). I have 1 EE, 1 BR, 1 Black Australorp, 2 RIR and 2 Leghorns. They are about 3 months old. Currently they are in a 16'x7'covered run with 7'x4'coop until the permanent coop/run is set finished...hopefully SOON!

Thanks!

Bullying (for no reason) is a sign of boredom, you can hang a bundle of alfalfa hardly out of reach and hide yummy treats if your worried, I'm not with my birds 24/7 so I wouldn't be.

Quote:
They make us conscientious, caring, loving chickenslaves to think that they are bored.

Don't forget - hens that go out in the woods and randomly start singing the egg song just to make you beat the bushes looking for hidden nests.
tongue.png

Hi! Thank you all! The link was great, too! I think they will be just fine. I'll put in a fresh deep layer of grass, and a rotting log or two. Along with the hanging cabbage, they won't even know I'm gone!

Back
Top Bottom