1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bored with broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stilldeb, May 21, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I know the instinct to 'go broody' is not that strong in some breeds. I have two Sebrights, one gold and one silver. The Silver went broody for about a week and then decided it was boring and quit. Is this 'normal' in breeds that are not typically broody? Personally, I'm glad, she is too little to sit on eggs and was chasing everybody else out of the coop when they wanted to lay eggs, but just wondering. The other coop, I have a Silkie who I think is stretching out to week four...ah...Silkies...

deb g

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yup, it happens. When a bird goes broody briefly I always say they were just "interviewing" for the job and decided it wasn't for them.

Good luck.

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Ha - yeah that is definitely my "Peepermint Patty" - just wasn't interested. She likes to run around too much, sitting still wasn't for her.

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by