1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boredom Busters for winter time?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shelbyw, Dec 11, 2016.

1. shelbyw

shelbyw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I would like some ideas of boredom busters for winter:) I have read many things and I have even tried a couple of them like freezing treats, but do you guys have any ideas for winter boredom busters? I am also going to ask if it is better to buy a chicken swing or make one. I have a lot of wood and also an old kid swing.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    A bale of hay will satisfy the need to scratch and will provide added greens and nutrients to the diet.

1 person likes this.
  3. mama bird 9604

mama bird 9604 New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    Connersville, Indiana
    I went to our local Dollar Tree and I found red green gold and silver bells, I proceeded to tie them together on twine. Take a length of rope tie a knot at the bottom then take two Bells all the way to the knot then an inch or two above those bells tie another knot then place twould more bells on, then repeat until it's the length you want.

1 person likes this.
  4. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    Maybe I shall do that and hang a couple of sets for my chickens:) I have never thought of bells before

5. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    The chickens absolutely love hay! My bsl actually knocks it out of one of the nesting boxes. Hahaha

6. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I put a gallon milk jug in my run and hung it off the ground. Drilled a few small holes in the bottom and filled it with scratch from the top..
    Keeps them busy all day. I tried tricking them and filled it with normal feed, they realized 30min later that it wasn't worth the effort.

I've also hung those bird seed bells in the past, they work well too. They are light enough that the chickens need to work really hard for a reward.

1 person likes this.
  7. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Hmm... tieing bells? Boredom buster For owners or birds?

8. KrisCVT

KrisCVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    MA
    Flock Block, suet baskets stuffed with veggies, hang a Farmers Helper "HotCake", pumpkin cut open...I also got a "Hentastic Treat stick" from Jeffers as a freebie that I am going to try. If you plan ahead, plant some forage seed in some planters.....I had 2 and just gave them to the birds during the snowy days. Didn't last long but they seemed excited about the bit of greens. Also, being a crazy person, I bagged up clean, dry leaves from the fall....I dump a pile at one end of the run during REALLY boring days for them to kick around in. If you have room, put some big, rotting logs in the run too...they will spend a lot of time picking at them.

My indoor chicken LOVES her treat ball....keeps her quite occupied as long as I fill it daily.

1 person likes this.
  9. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    We do have a lot of leaves. Maybe I can put them in there :) I do have a big log on there that they stand on and get on top of, but I can fit another one in there.

10. pnwoldie

pnwoldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Turn that big log over once in a while, it will have all kinds of bugs and worms under it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by