Boredom diverter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crooked stripe, Dec 21, 2009.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I don't know about your chickens but when it snows mine think it is poison. They sit inside the covered run and look outside. Kinda like me when it is cold. I have been trying to think of something I could do to liven things up a bit. I took 2 heads of cabbage and tied them to a string and hung them from the roof just high enough off the ground so they could reach it. From the time I let go of the cabbage they had them swinging from their pecking. I also fluffed up a bale of straw in the 8x12 run which made it about a foot deep. I then tossed in 3-4 handfuls of scratch and they thought they where in heaven digging and looking for the grain. Anyone else have any ideas to keep them happy and busy? John

2. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    I did the same with mine sans the cabbage but will try that also. We were entombed in ice for 4 days even slowed down the barn cats to a hibernation crawl![​IMG]

3. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    Mine hated the cold and snow too. I tried opening the coop at first, but gave up and left them "cooped up."

A couple of "pizza bones" kept mine occupied with a game of keep-away.

I made them elaborate "bento box" snack plates with a variety of leftovers, and warmed it up before presenting.

On sunny days I opened the human-door and scattered some scratch on the path through the snow shoveled across the lawn. I left their door open and started raking the litter in the coop to encourage them to leave.

I would also visit them in the coop. I'd go inside, close the door, and pet them. I sing them stupid stream-of-consciousness songs (a "skill"I developed with my kids) and generally compliment them and let them know they're still loved.

And as soon as the weather turns, LET THEM OUT. Mine were let out into the yard early today, and are still out scratching in the unraked leaves under the apple tree. Hmm. It's darkish, I better go check on them and close the coop if they've gone in! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by