Boris and Bella

Discussion in 'Geese' started by duck walk, Jul 15, 2010.

1. duck walk

duck walk Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    [​IMG]

They are now 8 weeks old...set 7 eggs, 4 hatched and these 2 survived...Boris decided to demonstrate his ganderness this morning for the first time...he got between Bella and the dog that was on the other side of the fence, dropped his head, stretched his neck out and hissed at said dog...he is so cute...then he tried to eat my camera...they are totally spoiled and still come running for treats or protection if something startles them...they still don't mind being picked up and snuggled up...chewing my hair is great fun...my glasses taste awful but they are hopeful for a better flavor one day and keep tasting them...

2. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG] Love the names, it fits them! [​IMG]

3. bel

bel Songster

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    They are pretty geese.

4. banter

banter Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    [​IMG]
    Great names! Glad you love them!

5. duck walk

duck walk Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    [​IMG]

Barney and Betty, Boris and Bella's parents...Barney has a huge knob and I guess Boris' will begin to develope soon...takes a while...

6. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    What age do the males' knobs get really big? I am still trying to figure out if my 2 20 week old Chinese geese are geese or ganders. [​IMG]

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They're gorgeous! Mine are getting their feathers in now and i just love the white patch on the chest/tummy [​IMG]

I always thought it was strange how White Chinese have pretty round knobs but the Brown's have a much higher-set pointy knob... just as pretty though [​IMG]

8. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    Does anyone know the purpose of the knob?? Doesn't nature usually have a purpose for things? jennifer

9. duck walk

duck walk Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I have no clue about the purpose of the knob...the little guy in my avatar is Doolittle and it took him a good six months or so before his "knobiness" began to manifest...Barney was also his sire...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by