Born dead

Tdwhite4098

Chirping
May 26, 2022
Phoenix
We’ve had a first time Brody hen sitting on four eggs. The first one hatched two days ago, and appeared to be smothered to death so we kept a closer eye and today another one was born, but also did not make it. We’re wondering if this is fairly normal and if we have an opportunity to get some baby chicks to put around mom will she be mean to them or will she adopt them? She is currently in her own Brody box.
91AFED8E-00A9-40F9-B2F8-C89874EDA907.png
5D0C17B9-4B22-48DF-8B1D-952C15B49FE0.jpeg

no that isn't normal. The chick in the photo seems not to have dried off, and the fact you can see it indicates chilling is more likely than smothering. Hatching is hard work and they will normally sleep most of the first day after hatch while drying off under mum. Have you examined it closely for any deformity or injury?

Chicks hatch, which is a very active process. That chick does not look like it hatched. It looks like someone removed the shell. The chicks head is still tucked in, its body bent in egg position, it could not have gotten out of the shell that way by itself, and chicks do not resume that position.

Do you have other people around that might have interfered?

Chicks hatch, which is a very active process. That chick does not look like it hatched. It looks like someone removed the shell. The chicks head is still tucked in, its body bent in egg position, it could not have gotten out of the shell that way by itself, and chicks do not resume that position.

I was just thinking the position looked off, it looks as if it is in the form of the egg.

no that isn't normal. The chick in the photo seems not to have dried off, and the fact you can see it indicates chilling is more likely than smothering. Hatching is hard work and they will normally sleep most of the first day after hatch while drying off under mum. Have you examined it closely for any deformity or injury?
There did not seem to be any deformities but it has been on the cooler side. We

possibly by granddaughter, I will ask her. I was at work.

There did not seem to be any deformities but it has been on the cooler side. We

possibly by granddaughter, I will ask her. I was at work.
My husband is off work today, we’re going to move them into the barn and put a heat lamp nearby. Hopefully the last two will survive. Well, tell me about what temp it needs to be inside the box.?

wonderful - but put some marbles or gravel or equivalent in that water dish; chicks can drown easily otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom