Born disabled

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TennesseeTruly, Oct 18, 2009.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Have you ever had that one baby that was born that just broke your heart because the second you saw him/her, you knew you had to cull it?

I'm having to deal with this right now and after I post this, I'm going out to cull this little sweetheart but I had to get this off my chest. I've been hatching nice big healthy guinea keets since yesterday. Out of 24 eggs, 22 were fertile and doing great. When I went to bed, 5 eggs were left to hatch. I got up after my husband and did my rounds and went to check to see if any new guineas had hatched. They all had and my husband had removed them from the incubator. All but one.

Immediately I knew why. He didn't know what to do with this one.
    [​IMG]

It has a severely crossed beak but it also has no eyes. It also can't stand up, it leans to one side. My heart broke immediately. I've had to cull chicks before. And right from birth I knew that I had to. What is it about this one that has my stomach in knots and tears coming to my eyes?

Have you ever had one that just broke your heart because you knew no matter what, there was nothing you could do to save it?? If he had been born with no eyes, we could work with that..but with all the other disabilities, he hasn't a fighting chance. So goodbye my sweet little guinea. Fly free at the Rainbow bridge where your disabilities are no more.

Laurie

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

[​IMG] Im so sorry [​IMG]

3. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    Oh my goodness..please do it quickly :-(

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Oh oh oh [​IMG]
    That must be really hard for you. But you're right, there's absolutely no way that chick can live properly.
    Stick it in the freezer. It's the kindest thing to do.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I am sorry. [​IMG] We had bought a couple polish chicks we bought from a breeder and we found out that one was disabled. One of them could not walk. It broke my heart.

6. Hopefully

Hopefully Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Wait--does to cull a chick mean to kill it?
    I'm so sorry, that's really sad. [​IMG]
    I hope I never have to do that.. and hope he dies quickly!
    Off to Heaven you go little chickie...RIP

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

This is what makes you a responsible animal owner Laurie. Thank you for doing whats right even when its hard.

(((hugs)))

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    So sorry you have to go through this!!

It looks like a sweetie too...

[​IMG]
    Missi

9. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    As i sit here with tears in my eyes, i pray that he goes where his disabilities are no more, and that your heart doesn't break for long.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm so sorry. You did the right thing for him.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by