Born disabled

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
Have you ever had that one baby that was born that just broke your heart because the second you saw him/her, you knew you had to cull it?

I'm having to deal with this right now and after I post this, I'm going out to cull this little sweetheart but I had to get this off my chest. I've been hatching nice big healthy guinea keets since yesterday. Out of 24 eggs, 22 were fertile and doing great. When I went to bed, 5 eggs were left to hatch. I got up after my husband and did my rounds and went to check to see if any new guineas had hatched. They all had and my husband had removed them from the incubator. All but one.

Immediately I knew why. He didn't know what to do with this one.
24335_disabled_baby_guinea_011.jpg

It has a severely crossed beak but it also has no eyes. It also can't stand up, it leans to one side. My heart broke immediately. I've had to cull chicks before. And right from birth I knew that I had to. What is it about this one that has my stomach in knots and tears coming to my eyes?

Have you ever had one that just broke your heart because you knew no matter what, there was nothing you could do to save it?? If he had been born with no eyes, we could work with that..but with all the other disabilities, he hasn't a fighting chance. So goodbye my sweet little guinea. Fly free at the Rainbow bridge where your disabilities are no more.

Laurie

Last edited:
Oh oh oh
hugs.gif

That must be really hard for you. But you're right, there's absolutely no way that chick can live properly.
Stick it in the freezer. It's the kindest thing to do.

I am sorry.
hugs.gif
We had bought a couple polish chicks we bought from a breeder and we found out that one was disabled. One of them could not walk. It broke my heart.

Wait--does to cull a chick mean to kill it?
I'm so sorry, that's really sad.
sad.png

I hope I never have to do that.. and hope he dies quickly!
Off to Heaven you go little chickie...RIP

Back
Top Bottom