Born in March...stopped laying?!

epluim

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
I have two hens that were born in March, so they're about 6-7 months old. They were laying when we got them. Each of them laid about twice for me.

But then they stopped. I've checked the coup. There aren't any places anything could be getting in to eat eggs. The chickens have food and water and plenty of space. They seem healthy and neither appear to be molting or broody. And the weather here has been gorgeous! Sunny 70s and 80s. I also don't see any bits of eggs or evidence that they're eating them.

So, where are the eggs?

I have two hens that were born in March, so they're about 6-7 months old. They were laying when we got them. Each of them laid about twice for me.

But then they stopped. I've checked the coup. There aren't any places anything could be getting in to eat eggs. The chickens have food and water and plenty of space. They seem healthy and neither appear to be molting or broody. And the weather here has been gorgeous! Sunny 70s and 80s. I also don't see any bits of eggs or evidence that they're eating them.

So, where are the eggs?

How long have you had them?

Sometimes a move can cause hens to stop laying until they get comfortable in their new home.

I've now had them a couple weeks. They laid when they first arrived - the first 3 days. Then nothing.

I've now had them a couple weeks. They laid when they first arrived - the first 3 days. Then nothing.

I am still thinking that the stress of moving caused them to stop laying. Hopefully they will start laying again soon. But sometimes it can take a while for a hen to start laying after a move.

STILL not laying! Now I'm wondering if something is getting in, though. One of my chickies is dead!

Sounds likely. If you've been leaving eggs in the coop something has probably been stealing them. When the eggs are no longer available, next cokes chicken.
Go over your entire coop with a fine tooth comb and seal any gaps you can find.

STILL not laying! Now I'm wondering if something is getting in, though. One of my chickies is dead!

I am sorry one of your chickens is dead.

Was the chicken just dead, or did you see bite marks, or was the chicken taken?

She was dead and pretty torn up.

I don't know that I have been leaving eggs - I haven't been able to find any eggs - ever except for the first few days.

I'll check my coop again. Sigh.

Last edited:
She was dead and pretty torn up.

I don't know that I have been leaving eggs - I haven't been able to find any eggs - ever except for the first few days.

I'll check my coop again. Sigh.

You stated at the beginning of this thread that you got two hens. Do you have any other chickens other than the two hens mentioned? Is it possible another chicken killed the hen?

Back
Top Bottom