Borrowing a Roo for fertilization?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by enggass, Feb 23, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    If I were to introduce a Roo to some hens that were Roo-less, how long would it take - on average - for the Roo to 'Roo' so to speak?
    Or is this a bad idea due to possible contamination without first quarantining the new Roo.?

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    If he's older than the hens, it probably wouldn't take no more than an hour for him to service the hens, but I don't know how long it would take for the eggs to become fertile. I would quarantine him for at least a couple of days before putting him in with hens.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

A 'few' days of quarantine is usless. VERY few diseases will show up in a 'few' days.

Three weeks is the absolute minimum. With what I have accomplished with my breeding program and the money I have invested in my chickens, I will be quarantining any new chickens for a minimum of 2 MONTHS. Unless they come from a closed CERTIFIED flock.

There are many sad sad stories on this site about people that did not qurantine any new chickens that they brought home.......

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Introducing new birds without quarantine is the quickest way to lose your flock. After first mating all eggs should be fertile from the third day on. If your goal is to raise chicks, why not buy some fertile eggs to incubate or brood?

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If bio-security is a real issue, then having a closed flock with your own hens and roosters will be more effective at controlling disease outbreaks than repeatedly importing eggs from another population, even if source is certified disease free.

Fish hatcheries (trout farmers in particular) abide by this system as disease issues and rules placed upon them by government are amoung the strictest going.

Quarantine your bird, then put him to work. Upon introduction, he will service hens likely within 30 seconds and fertile eggs will be on way as indicated three days later.

6. Reg

Reg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    So the eggs are fertile 3 days after the roo is put in with the hens.

How long after you remove the roo will the hen lay fertile eggs for ?

7. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    The hen can remain fertile for up to 3 wks.

8. Reg

Reg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:interesting

thanks

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:interesting

thanks

You will likely see a drop in fertility rate after 10 days but fertile eggs will continue through 3 wks and occasionally a fertile egg will be produced up to 4 wks after hen last covered / mated.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may not be so lucky if you did risk disease and borrow a rooster. Not all hens will immediately submit and can even attack a new rooster. When I introduced the only adult bird I ever brought in after a 5 week quarantine, he was 11 months old and had never been with any hens of his own. It took him five full MONTHS before I saw one fertile egg. He was just a laid back gentleman.

ETA: Afterward, every egg (except for the hen he didn't like at all) was fertile and he produced very strong chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by