Borrowing a Rooster

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KotaDVM, Mar 9, 2009.

1. KotaDVM

KotaDVM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Hey everyone,
    I have not purchased any chickens as of yet, but I am in the planning stages of what type of breed, how many, coop-design, etc. My question is in regards to raising chicks via a broody hen. Is it common practice to introduce a rooster to a flock for just a few days (borrowed from a neighbor) to inseminate the females and subsequently have fertilized eggs for just that 2 week period? I would like to have unfertilized eggs for most of the egg laying season. Any advice would be much appreciated- Thanks!

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    how mant girls?

I think I would give him at least a week with 10 hens..

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Kota, nothing wrong with fertilized eggs, you can`t tell the difference. As for the borrowed rooster, if you can borrow one, that would work. Don`t know how common that is, but it can be done.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Are you not wanting to eat fertilized eggs? Or are you not spose to have a roo? If your not wanting to eat fertilized eggs, there is no difference in taste. If it is because you cant have a Roo, and want fertilized eggs, that is not really a real good Idea, because even though you know the roo and it is not sick, you should still quaranteen for a month before introducing him to the flock. So if you do proper quaranteen, you will have to have the roo at your place for 11/2 - 2 months.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well I can only have a roo at my place from end of Oct to around March/April. Quarantine about a month is a good idea and if you do not have a place to quarantine him, you can ask your neighbor or friend with a cage provided and put the roo in the cage away from the flock. I would prefer the roo away from the flock for a month in a different building if he got another place to keep him in. I did that with a friend who got a big cage a 36x36 and put the roo in the horse barn which it was about a good 500 ft away from the flock barn. So he never had any exposure in between time. never had a sick bird either so it works well for both of us. And when i return him, he will be quarantined for a month before she lets him out with her flock.

Not everyone got the time and labor to do it but if the roo is important, it is a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by