borrowing roosters

featherfriendlyinIowa52

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
NW Iowa
I don't have chickens now but am planning a flock for Spring 2012. I'll only have a dozen or so and would like 4 or 5 breeds. I understand to keep peace I should have only one rooster. I'd like to hatch eggs occasionally but want to keep my breeds pure. Are there groups in my area (North Central Iowa) that loan/rent roosters and with the issues with disease, I wonder about the wisdom of bringing a strange rooster on my property. I would isolate the hen and rooster. Your input is appreciated as I am very new to this. Thank you.

welcome-byc.gif

Why not keep on breed as pure then let other hens produced crossed chicks?

If you are going to use the borrow method, the quarantine will need to be considered on your end and that of the other party when rooster returned.

Thank you for responding. This was an option I've considered too. I wonder what (or who) a Golden Polish/Black Copper Marans will resemble? Phyllis Diller or Charles DeGaulle?

I gave up on such predictions some time ago once I realized different pure strains of a given breed through different looking hybrids. Your crosses though usually are visually appealing.

Back
Top Bottom