BO's and heat

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stokecity150, Jun 22, 2016.

1. stokecity150

stokecity150 New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    Our girls are about 12 weeks old now, and do not tolerate heat - we live in SE Pennsylvania. We've taken to putting them in our pool house between 11 am to 3 pm. Quite naturally, they are not too happy about that. My question is: will they handle the heat better as they grow older?

Thanks. Roy

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Can't answer that question specifically, but there are a lot of chickens having problems because of heat. It has been extremely hot here and the heat index is much higher.

We use a hose attached to a mister to cool them off, keep them in the shade, give them watermelon, and make sure they have cool water to drink. At first they did not like the mister, but soon learned it cooled them off and now they walk through it, sometimes even standing in it. I would highly recommend a mister, it helps so much. Some people use fans on their chickens, but I have never tried that.

For many suggestions, type keeping chickens cool in summer heat into the search box.

[​IMG]

3. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    I've had BOs for 3 years now here in the northeast. I have recently added coatings and they don't appreciate the heat either.
    I have some fruit trees that they stay under for shade. I also give them a plastic container w ice + ice water for them to dip their feet in it. They love it. Left over fresh fruit, refrigerated and plain yogurt also help keep them happy. All in all, having trees that provide good shade is what has helped them the most. Best of luck w/ you flock!

4. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    I've had BOs for 3 years now here in the northeast. I have recently added coatings and they don't appreciate the heat either.
    I have some fruit trees that they stay under for shade. I also give them a plastic container w ice + ice water for them to dip their feet in it. They love it. Left over fresh fruit, refrigerated and plain yogurt also help keep them happy. All in all, having trees that provide good shade is what has helped them the most. Best of luck w/ you flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by