1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BO's plucked feathers from thier necks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicky gal1, Apr 29, 2009.

1. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    I have all hens and I noticed two of them seem to have plucked their feathers from the front of their necks. they are still laying, so I would say they are not molting. any ideas? Thanks, amy [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Are they broody? [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Your other birds are doing it. Probably eating the feathers. My cochins did it to my rooster. Why he just sat there and let them do it is beyond me. [​IMG]

4. chicky gal1

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    nope not broody. they are BO's. I don't get in, they almost look bald on the front. should I seperate them?

5. chicky gal1

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    Why would they eat each other's feathers?? Silly chickens ; )

6. chicky gal1

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    i guess they are broody or molting... egg production slowed a bit..

7. cstacatto

cstacatto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Lakewood
    the only time i had a problem with this, was from my rooster would be abusing the heck out of this one hen, and her neck has no feathers left on it. We ended up seperating the rooster from this hen, and her feathers are slowly coming back in. The only thing i have ever heard about them eating each others feathers is a lack of protein in thier diets...which could explain a slow down of eggs.

8. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have this problem w/both of my EEs. I'm thinking since their feathers are a little "fluffier" they tend to get the other chick's attention. I caught 2 the other day picking @ her feathers & she just sat there! You would think it would hurt [​IMG]

Several weeks ago I had to seperate my other EE, she was bare & bloody in a matter of a few hours. I would just keep an eye on it & make sure they don't pick her until she bleeds. Otherwise, it could get pretty ugly [​IMG]

9. chicky gal1

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    thanks, they are all BO that have feathers missing and no rooster with them. if they free range each day should their calcium be ok?

10. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I notice some of my hens are missing feathers along one of both sides of their neck and after investigation saw that they were picking at each other trying to get the best spot on the roost. I put up additional roosts which has helped.

I would say if they free range they "should" get enough calicum, but would recommend you supplement with oyster shell which is pretty inexpensive and easy to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by