Boss rant

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by jbourget, Nov 9, 2011.

1. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    I am slowly loosing my mind at work, Let me start by describing my situation. I am a lab tech for a mechanical piping product company, and I am one of 6 employees in the lab. My supervisor got me this job and the husband to my moms best friend. I am 20 years old, and everyone else he hired is in their 40s, with the exception of AL an older gentleman who has been working here for 30 years and is retiring in a few short months.

I have been measuring a line of our product now for about 2 weeks, and I am about half way done them all. It is VERY BORING and tedious stuff….has to be right on point with the measurments. So while they all laugh and joke with eachother I am sitting here at my cube listening to country music, surfing BYC occasionally and checking my emails for the farm stuff….Just gets to me how life works. When I first started it was alright they included me in their talks ect ect…but one day it just turned and I said something joking that made one of the guys mad (not sure why) was a simple joke then after that all my co workers have ignored me and any little thing I do I feel like I am doing to be reprimanded….Even like the other day came in an hour early to leave out an hour early to pickup my girlfriend at college, wich wouldn’t have been a problem if I was any other guy in the shop. My boss felt it fit to send me a few very rude emails about how that was unacceptable was a safety issue ect ect… just the stupid little things that get to me. So now tomorrow its going to rain and I took my last vacation day to get the animals set for winter on this extra long weekend….go figure. Then my boss gets on my case about how I am not working enough, while he sits there on his computer all day on the drudge report and talking politics with the other bone heads…I just put on my headphones and have not really talked to anybody in a few days. Some of the stuff they say is just childish too, and if my supervisors wife only knew…what a perverted old man her husband is, it would shock her LOL

Anyway end of rant…there is much much more I could add too…just to clouded to think

Guess I can’t wait to just got out of here and go home to the farm and relax and take care of them all. The highlight of my day.

2. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    No worries. In time, you will learn how to play all the games.

Work should be fun.

Never offend anyone - never talk about anyone that is not in the room. Be aware of harrassment and bully laws and proper behavior.

Priveleges come with seniority, so what the old-timers do versus what you are allowed to do will vary. Perhaps unfairly, family-oriented errands are permitted more often than single person errands.

Continue to be polite and friendly despite the present chill. Jobs are hard to find. You will need this reference.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to realize in order to survive is that people MUST enjoy working with you. That is more important that brains, ability, long hours - EVERYTHING. [​IMG]

3. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    thanks, Well i guess this is the catch, i have been here for almost 2 years and all my supervisors "buddies" he hired long after me think they can tell me what to do...especially BOB, boy he gets me ticked sometimes. And i have been here same length of time as my boss. Just nobody i can really talk to here and i wish there was!

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Just remember that while BOB is busy trying to be your boss and a jerk, you are the one that's doing everything right. Eventually the right person will notice that.

5. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Lol, this website is very good at passing company time.... [​IMG] i think they are catching on to the blue lines on the forum thought!!!! [​IMG]

6. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Quote:bobs a funny one, like the time i forgot my steel toe boots...he was first one to run to boss and let him know....that ticked me off. it did piss off tony too and he confronted him about being a rat. that was a fun day...bob didnt know what to say really....he derserved it. they are like puppys him and boss follow eachother all over...even to the bathroom HAHA i get a good laugh at that

7. ChickInDelight

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    An old (and wise) boss of mine would say, "Lose it and you lose the game."

He meant that you must always maintain emotional control. Never lose your composure in front of workmates. Never show anger - above all else.

Any time someone pushes your buttons and makes you yell, express anger, cry..... you get the picture - that person wins and you lose.

Fake it til you make it. Smile, show interest and enthusiasm even though your work may arguably be the most boring task on earth.

I find baking goodies and bringing them into work makes me rather popular. [​IMG]

8. ChickInDelight

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Watch your body language. Your feelings show. No arms folded across chest and frownie faces. Don't make it obvious you are escaping when you put on headphones.

Keep an open body posture. Keep a smile on your face.

Watch your tone of voice. No sarcasism, disgust, definance, whining, negative emotions.....

Honestly, I am 50 years old and paid an absurd amount of money for a ridiculously small amount of work. I have survived in the office for decades on the simple principle:

Be fun to work with.

Everyone wants to work with kind, happy, fun people. [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Yeah that... play the game with a smile even if you are going to pop if you want to stay in the game.

10. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Thanks everyone, yeah it does get tough, but im tougher. i dont know about brining them goodies though...LOL i get paid very well though, and full benifits.....and i really dont do much work either...not a high demand job, unlike my last one...SHOVELING PAVEMENT ALL DAY into a paver ect ect, filthy hot job boy glad this aint that. from a working lunch to a 45 min lunchbreak , comp desk and BYC lol it aint all that bad... just have to put up with the dopes....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by