BOSS vs Scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crawfordmama, Jul 30, 2010.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    What's a better snack for my 5-week olds - BOSS or scratch? Thanks!

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Are they "on the ground" yet? I wouldn't give either until they can get to grit, etc

And then, I think BOSS (while better for them) might be a bit too big....I'd vote for scratch first as it has small seed

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Five week olds? BOSS. It's pretty small shells and the shells are softer than the big, stripey kind. Higher in protein than the scratch, AND really good for their feather growth!

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I didn't give either until they were 12 wks only because I wanted them to get a little bigger.

5. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I would go boss, but either split them by thumb or rough chop with a knife.

My only concern for them that young is size and access to grit. At 5 weeks I was slowly experimenting with soft treats (cabbage, grass, kale) along with some sand in their feed. Too paranoid for anything else and only enough to taste.

Scratch would probably work too but it all depends on what it's made of. The scratch I get is hard and not cracked, no corn.

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not offer it without grit at that age. I used sand for other treats but no grain until a lil older. I prefer BOSS over scratch.

7. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    My older birds didn't really like the BOSS until recently. I mix a little scratch with a little wild bird food and ALOT of BOSS and now even my 7 week olds eat it all. Happy and healthy all.........

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens go crazy over BOSS. [​IMG] They act like it is the most wonderful candy...sort of like me with Dark Chocolate! [​IMG] They line up and beg for it every morning.

9. whogroomer

whogroomer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    Mahopac
    What is BOSS?

10. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Oil Sunflower Seed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by