1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BOSS was rejected and now sprouting

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ima57boomer, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ima57boomer

ima57boomer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Ok...I am a new chicken owner. I bought 10 baby chicks on March 18 and have been devouring this site, gleaning chicken-owner knowledge and applying it to my small flock. I had to buy a bag of chicken feed at the local farm store and saw the black oil sunflower seeds in a nice bag. I had read that chickens love these, and it's such a great treat and a nice tool for training. I paid the $10 dollars for the bag and couldn't wait to get home and treat my girls. I tossed some out and you'd have thought I was trying to drop poison bombs on them. They didn't touch them and now I have sunflower sprouts. Actually, they're now about 2 feet tall. Do I have weird chickens, or will they come around and start eating these? I've wasted $10 in worse ways, I suppose, but I was disappointed that they didn't like them.

2. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    I've got 10 birds about the same age as yours. I usually keep a bag of BOSS on hand year-round for song birds and the chickens. My older birds LOVE IT!!! The younger ones didn't have any interest....I'm sure they will come around eventually. I don't think you should look too far into it. [​IMG]

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I had a similar experience. Were yours shelled? I find my girls (2 months) like them if they're shelled, but can't handle them (yet) with the shells on. Sometimes I think something has to be bite-sized at first for them to recognise it as food. I'm saving mine for later.

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    It sounds like your might be a bit young for the BOSS, keep trying as they get older! My hens and older pullets LOVE the seeds! I haven't tried with my 7 week olds, I figured the shells would be too hard for them.

5. ima57boomer

ima57boomer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    thanks everyone. I will keep trying. At $10 a bag, maybe I'm lucky they don't like them yet. If what's sprouted grow and produce seed heads, then I'll have plenty, for sure.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My chickens always loved BOSS and I would start the chicks out at 1 week on BOSS. Mama hen loved showing the chicks how to scratch and find the black "bugs" in the bedding. Maybe because mine were started on BOSS while still young and their moms showed them to be desirable?

At least your area birds will get the benefit of your sprouted seeds when they reach maturity...watch those yellow finches!

7. Marshchick

Marshchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    And enjoy the lovely sunflowers when they bloom! I think for $10 you got yourself a bonus, a lovely sunflower garden and future BOSS for your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by