Boss

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lottastuff9, Jun 22, 2010.

1. lottastuff9

lottastuff9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    At what age can you start giving your chickens BOSS? Is there a shelled variety?

[​IMG]

2. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    I started giving BOSS to them when they where 5 weeks old. I don't know if that was too early but they loved it and still do [​IMG]

3. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    What, may I ask, is boss?

4. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Oil Sunflower Seed

5. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    This is probably a REALLY stupid question, but where can you get BOSS?

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't feed any type of extras or treats till there at least 6 mouths old..
    I feel that a growing chick needs all the protein they can get to build a big frame/body with good feathering and most treats and extras will do little more than drop there over all protein percentage of there main feed (starter, grower, etc.)..

Quote:You can get it at any store that sell wild bird seed or at feed mill. A feed mill is going to be a bit cheaper in price and some times a better quality....

Chris

7. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    Has the seed been treated or genetically modified in any way that would prevent someone from growing their own from the seeds?

8. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    has anyone experienced their chickens not eating the seeds? my birds are 11 weeks old and i've been giving them BOSS for almost 2 weeks now as a treat and most of them just ignore the seeds i toss into the run. there are a few chickens that eat a coupleof seeds, but not much....

for the past week i've been tossing in a couple of handfulls of BOSS into the feeder mixed with their crumbles whenever i have to refill it. the majority of those appear to get eaten with just a few that i find on the coop floor.
    will they eventually recognize it as a edible treat? or do some chicken just dislike them?
    i'll tell you what i have noticed, the few chicken that do eat the BOSS are starting to show some nice shiny feathers on their backs, almost as if someone rubbed babyoil on them.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  9. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I feed BOSS to my horses and the chickens.
    Full of Omega-3 & puts a shine on a coat - hair or feather - you cannot beat!

My horses look like I spend hours grooming them - which is soooooooo not true. [​IMG]
    Chickens are shiny - the Black Stars almost glow, Delawares too although harder to tell on white feathers.

The chickens get a handful mixed with whole oats as scratch and they LOFF it!
    They recognize the bucket I keep it in and start talking excitedly when I pick it up [​IMG]

I buy my BOSS at the feedstore - about $12 for 50#

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  10. Bartlett Farms

Bartlett Farms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    I like the fact that Boss is almost 23 grams of Protein. So it is more than just a treat i add it to there daily feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by