Boss?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by waitin on eggs, Nov 8, 2010.

1. waitin on eggs

waitin on eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Spartansburg,PA
    I've read alot about BOSS on here for treats, saying that chickens love it. Well I went to TSC and bought "Black Oil Sunflower Seeds" this is BOSS right or wrong? My girls could really care less, They look at me like ok lady wheres are treat, we really don't want these:confused:

Are mine the only chickens that don't like this or did I buy the wrong thing?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's the correct thing.
    Sometimes chickens are a little picky about new foods. Mine were unimpressed at first too. I just mixed it with scratch a few times and now they'll eat it.

Imp

3. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    It's an aquired taste. They'll get it eventually..lol

4. louisagardener

louisagardener New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    Gordonsville, VA
    I had the same exact experience. Those chickens looked at me like I was trying to trick them. So, the second time, I threw out some boss and some scratch grains (which is like chicken crack at my house!), and they eventually figured it out. Now they LOVE the boss. [​IMG]

5. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes!
    As the above folks have said........it's new, just give 'em time. I too mixed BOSS with scratch, to get my flock started on it. They will come to LOVE it, makes for very shiny feathers, I also give BOSS to my horses. They love it and it gives a shine to their coat too. [​IMG]

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Mine prefer it to scratch--I use it to keep them out from underfoot when I'm trying to get stuff done in the coop.

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Put a lil in with their feed...I sprinkle some each afternoon on top of their food in the hanging feeder...it gets a lil crazy so I have taken to tossing some for them to scratch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by