Boss

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Stephan222, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Stephan222

Stephan222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    Ok I'm stupid but feeding the hens BOSS is that whole kernel or is the sunflower seed husked . Can the birds eat them h
    Whole and pass the husk . I don't get it

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    BOSS is black oil sunflower seed (husk included). I feed it whole. They love it.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:X 2 and good fer um!

4. WV_Chicken

WV_Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Augusta, WV
    TSC sells it in the bird food area.

5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    ditto. my hens prefer it to scratch.

6. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    My hens can take it or leave it. I bought a 40lb bag, I wish I had bought the 20lb bag instead. The larger bag was a much better value, but since my girls did not go bonkers for it (like I hoped they would) it's taking a while to burn through it. I would defiantly get a bag and try it. My only advice would be to try a smaller bag to start with, until you know how they like it.

7. WV_Chicken

WV_Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Augusta, WV
    when I first used it my ladies didn't go bonkers over it. However, Iwould just throw it in the coop or put it over their feed. I just recently added a 2 sided feeder to the side of the inside coop and put Boss in one side and Oyster shell in the other. They absolutely tear it up now. I can't keep it in the feeder

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I didn't thing mine would ever learn to eat it til I read on here to mix it in something moist, like a bowl of oatmeal. I think I gave them the last of a casserole with a little milk in it to moisten it. Now they go nuts for it. The hulls are pretty soft and they eat the whole thing.

9. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    I haven't priced it at Tractor Supply. Compare it to Walmart's price in their wild bird/pet section. We feed small amounts of BOSS to our horses and we've always found Walmart's price on that cheaper than our local feed store. Since we've always thought Tractor Supply a little high on animal feed, I suspect Walmart beats them too.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just bought a 40lb. bag of Boss at Tractor Supply and it was $14.99

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by