Boss?

This_chicks_place

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Upstate NY
I have heard about giving chickens BOSS, but can I give them sunflower seeds that are fresh from the flower? I know this is probably a dumb question...just wondering:rolleyes:

I grew sunflowers for my chickens this year. Then I read online about how to know when they were ready. It said to let the back of the flower...the green stuff...turn brown and then pick them. I am waiting now for that to happen.

I grew a couple last year and put the head in the run. Of course they thought I was trying to kill them and walked away. Later that day I checked on them and the sunflower head was picked bald!

So, yes.

I was wondering the same thing. I have a huge flower blooming. It is beautiful. I throw the seeds out and try to land some in a pot so the chickens don't find them and they bloom.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have left over bird seed, and they ladies love that. It contains black oilers, and they eat them first. I was feeding the birds, but that led to me feeding the hawk. I know nature is nature, but it became to hard to watch the hawk swoop down, and grab a bird, and it's mate go crazy trying to save it. To no luck. So, I quite feeding the birds.

My ladies love to scratch around most of the morning after the seed. LOL

Hey, does anyone know if they can have suet cakes? I have 10 of those left too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom