Bossy hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mark, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Mark

Mark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    While watering some plants, I was surprised to see our 1.5 year old hen (Sophie) knock down one of our 5 month old hens. She proceeded to sort of lay on top of younger hen and looked like she was going for the throat. The younger hen was not low in the pecking order as I understood it, so it seemed very odd.

I sort of wondered if she was acting like a rooster, since we don't have one.

I tossed some water on them to break up the fight. Bossy Sophie came up with some feathers in her beak.

She then proceeded to take a few threatening steps at a second 5 month old hen, who immediately took off in another direction.

Can anyone explain what I witnessed?

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Sounds like she really doesn't like the younger one, not sure

3. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    sounds like the pecking order is being established (or rearranged). We have 2 one and a half year old hens, a 5 month old pullet and a 2 month old pullet. The hens chase the new pullets around all the time while squawking and pecking at them. They haven't drawn blood yet, so I let them work it out. We separated them for awhile, but now it's a matter of figuring out who's in charge. The way I understand it is they usually figure it out eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by