1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boston, MA dad and 6yo daughter want to start raising chickens for eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by deanmurphy9761, Dec 12, 2013.

1. deanmurphy9761

deanmurphy9761 New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    Hello All,

Boston area carpenter looking for advice for me and my active 6yo daughter. We would like to start raising chickens for eggs and looking for help getting started. I would like to start building the chicken coop soon and would like help. My family personally goes thru about 2 dozen eggs a week, so would like to have a flock that would meet that demand. I am guessing we should wait til spring to get our hens. Any reccomendations would be appreciated by my daughter and myself.

Thank you in advance,

Dean and Karly

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC!

You've got an awful lot of options. You may want to poke around on this site for a bit and decide what sort of birds appeal to you and what coop designs you like. Then maybe open a thread and run some of your choices past the byc crew.

Peruse the learning center, coop section , and breeds page. These should get your wheels turning. Enjoy!

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 on the BYC Learning Center and your State thread for ideas and help to get you started. For chicken breeds, the Henderson chicken breed chart compares a lot of popular breeds, and the BYC Breeds section has reviews of a lot of breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suggest reading all you can this winter, look at the coop section to get ideas. Visit some of the hatchery sites to look at pictures of chickens and read about their size, type of eggs, how many per week they lay, and their temperament. I love Meyer (Ohio) hatchery's website for checking out the details. My Pet Chicken is another that has a lot of information, but it isn't really a hatchery, just a "middleman." They actually get many of their chickens from Meyer and other hatcheries. McMurray, Cackle, and Ideal are some other large national hatcheries. Build your coop larger than you think you need. Try getting some different breeds to see what you like and to be able to tell the girls and their eggs apart. Don't get more than 1 rooster. People always have extra roosters to give away in the fall, so you can always get one then. Get sexed pullets, not straight run which will be mixed boys and girls. Pay extra for the Maraks vaccine--probably the best advice of all. It is a horrible disease. Good luck!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Unless you are planning on buying a large number of chicks/chickens, I think going to a breeder is best even if you aren't in the market for show quality. I would also read up on Predators and predator proofing your coop and run.to protect your flock in every way possible.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Check out the Learning Center for articles on getting started, keeping the flock healthy, predator protection and much more. Also have a browse through the Coops section for some inspiration and coop designs. Enjoy!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Dean and Karly, welcome to BYC. Study the forums, ask questions if needed. Somewhere the answers can be found.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined us and merry Christmas!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by