Boston Terrier owner Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sandy sea, Sep 9, 2009.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Thinking of getting a Boston Terrier. I have read that they are smart but, hard to house break. Are they hard to house break?

2. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    YES,though at nite he'd pee by the backdoor carpet not the paper there,oh & on the back edge of my recliner!.He also would bark,bark,bark if I ignored him for whatever reason,on phone,EATING,on the throne whatever,very high energy.Mine was a mix of what I'm not sure very cute though and friendly just very yappy and to smart.He also had some seperation issues,when I'd leave and return I'd have a call from my manager.After 2years I gave him to some of mom's coworkers with a JR terrier and a big backyard,he's since been fixed(a testie did'nt drop & to$$ to fix him for me) and gained weight from to much spoiling. I recomend watching the Dog Whisper,it would've helped us.I did'nt realize he was being dominent with me at 7 lbs..Treat any lil' dog like a dog not a baby.Sooo many people ruin (spoil) the dog and wonder why they have problems with 'em! Though they don't call terriers terrors for nuthin.Agility would've been great too at the dog park he'd keep up with the big dogs,he hauled ass!Good luck though they are sweet,not for apartment life unless it's older. Visit the parents and pick from calmer good natured breeding. I think if he had a yard and a buddy it would've worked better.I have a Pomeranian girl now and she's GREAT! She only barks when the big dogs do and puts them in check if they're to ruff with her,she hauls ass too!![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  3. sandy sea

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Is it true that they are really hard to house train? Anyone else have or know of someone that has a Boston Terrier?

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Mine lived for 10 years and was never house trained. I swear sometimes she was frantic to come in because she needed to pee.

It's a good thing she was so darn cute.

5. sandy sea

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    That is good to know, might be changing my mine about getting one. I was looking to get a small dog, but do not need pee in the house. I have large Dogs and they are all house broke.

6. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I got one and trained it for my ex. He wasn't a problem at all! I used to kennel him at night and took him out right after he ate until he did his business and went right back in again. Very few accidents at first and he trained quickly.

7. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    When we got our 3/4 Boston at 6 weeks of age, she was house trained in two weeks just from watching our 9 yr. old female pit who whines to go out to do her business. Our Boston is now a yr. old and never has an accident in the house. You just have to be diligent and let it out as soon as you hear it whine because they can't hold it long when they're puppies.

8. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I have a boston too that is house broke (most of the time), but he is still a pup. Slick seems to be the opposite of most bostons. He is so timid and shy that you have to get him to come to you for anything. I really like that he NEVER barks either.

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    My boss has a Boston that is house trained and a pretty good agility dog. She didn't have a problem house training at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by