Botchulism??????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Jul 24, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    if a chicken has botculism do they still eat and drink?

2. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Ozarks
    Botchulism is from eating maggots right? well, i have some chickens get sick from it recently and i gave them a good 1cc shot of spectrum. i made sure to change the water 2 or 3 times a day and got them away from where they ate the maggots from. 2 that had it (for sure) are still alive and seem to be doing better and 1 died before we knew what it was. I read there is NO cure for Botchulism but the things i tried are supposed to help. And to answer Yes, myne did still eat and drink.

3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. :

Botchulism is from eating maggots right? well, i have some chickens get sick from it recently and i gave them a good 1cc shot of spectrum. i made sure to change the water 2 or 3 times a day and got them away from where they ate the maggots from. 2 that had it (for sure) are still alive and seem to be doing better and 1 died before we knew what it was. I read there is NO cure for Botchulism but the things i tried are supposed to help. And to answer Yes, myne did still eat and drink.

thanks,im not real sure if it is botchulism.i think im just gonna keep her in the house and give her polyvisol and vitamin e and see what happens.​

4. chuckschick

chuckschick New Egg

Jan 24, 2008
    As long as I'm here on BYC thought I'd throw in my experience regarding this...

A few years back I had a hen who had botulism (at first i thought it was a snake bite) ---she got all wobbly-- then she couldn't keep her head up --and could not stand...it got bad fast.

BYC form moderator advised (as best as I can recall ) giving her fluids through a dropper, I used watered down orange juice and watered down molasses...keep giving this very often I had the hen inside the tub with blankets at this point. I stayed up all night with her and three different times she became unconscious and I thought she died then she would move a bit. I had to keep holding her head and neck up for HOURS to keep the air passage open and fluids down. The next morning, as day broke, she lived through and I tried to stand her up --she could barely do it---it took several months b4 she could walk right. I still have this hen and she is such a sweet girl...i'm so glad I stuck with it.

My advice, if you love the chicken like I do, and you're willing,, and know it's botulism, (which by the way, they can catch from so many place not just maggots but lots of diff. bugs and even grains etc) keep her head/neck up and keep forcing the fluids down..I was told the molasses water helps break down (?) the poisons inside the animal...It worked for me!

(BE SURE to keep changing water for the other animals outside --but the hot temps (usually 90's usually cause this ) so they don't get it too. but to state the obvious --it's not catchy between them..

Good Luck... it's a terrible thing to have to watch your chicken go through and if you want to save them you have to be EXTRA attentive and basically sleep with the hen so you can get the fluids down..I forget if I had given any antibiotics so I won't say I did...again, Good Luck

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    thanks chuckschick.im glad your chicken got better.she keeps her head up and can walk around.im starting to think it might be the roo injured her.so for now all i can do is give the meds.,make sure shes eating and drinking and keep an eye on her.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

7. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    no kathy she doesnt really look like that.thats why now im thinking roo injury.
    thanks for responding...

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Well, good luck with her! [​IMG]

9. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    thanks kathy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by